More Than Anything in The World

After my confession, the three of us spent the night talking things through. We've agreed to start fresh, to start over. I was tired of constantly being at odds with my brothers and though I would never admit it out loud, I feel a little relieved now that they know the truth. Following our late night conversation which lasted us until dawn, I trudged my way to bed only to find a voicemail from Klaus. With half-closed eyes, I opened it that night, and his words knocked the sleep out of me:

"Lily, I'm calling to let you know that I have left Mystic Falls. I heard a rumor that there is a witch conspiring against me, so here I stand in the French Quarter of New Orleans. It is my favorite city, yet all I can think about is you." A sigh echoes over the line. "I would've asked you to join me in this city we both loved, I wanted to, but I considered your request. Although I refuse to fulfill it, I thought it best to give you space. I know that you're not ready, not yet, though I hope someday you will be. Until we meet again, Love."

I didn't know what to think after I heard his message. All I do know is that my early morning turned into a late one as thoughts consumed me. Jess and Elijah's words had played in my head as questions echoed through my mind. Did he really deserve a chance? After the hell he put me through? But what about the pain I had caused him? Although my ego detested the idea, I knew that I was not innocent either.

Did any of it matter anymore, though? He's gone. He left.

He finally got tired of waiting for me and left...

Did I make a mistake? Should I follow him?

But I've never been the girl who chased guys. With a groan, I had fallen upon my bed, staring endlessly at my ceiling, as the questions rattled through my brain.

And now, days later, I blink with sleepy eyes at my brothers. "You still have her in the safe?" I question Damon as Stefan and I walk into the Cellar. Said safe is a massive one, almost as tall as Damon, but it's narrower than our cells.

"You've been in her head for an hour. What, still nothing?" Stefan asks, defeat and disappointment in his tone.

I might have agreed to join Team Salvatore, but it doesn't mean I still don't question my brother's choices sometimes. Elena's been locked down here for days. Obviously what they're doing hasn't been working, yet the two are too stubborn to see it.

Damon ignores us as he opens the safe. "How you doing in there?" He questions Elena, but she doesn't supply a reply. "Come on," Damon grits as he pulls Elena out of the safe. It's easy to see that she's weak, her skin is pale and her arms are frail. She seems barely conscious. Damon drops Elena on the ground and crouches in front of her. "Is the old you ready to come out and play?"

"Go to hell." Elena spits at him. Damon smiles tightly.

"Okay. Back you go." Shoving Elena back into the safe he locks it. I share a look with Stefan before we face our older brother again. "We can do this the nice way, or we can do it the other way," Damon tells Elena through the safe door, crossing his arms over his chest, "but either way, we're not stopping until you turn your humanity switch back on. So I'm gonna let you think about that, and I'm gonna come back for you in a couple hours, or a couple years...because all we have is time." Damon taps the safe twice before he heads upstairs. Stefan and I follow behind him.

Shutting the basement door behind me, I walk and take a seat on the couch. Stefan and Damon follow suit. "What at we going to do? Isolation doesn't seem to be working," Stefan mutters, his eyes trained on the rug.

"You just have to give it time brother, she'll come around," Damon comments as he gets up to pour himself a drink.

"No, it's too easy for her. We need something to evoke a feeling inside her, any kind of emotion. Love, fear, sadness..."