Not a Monster to Me

"What are you two doing here?" The question falls from my lips as I find Tyler Lockwood and Caroline in the Gilbert's kitchen. Their heads pop up, eyes finding mine. I avoid Caroline's, focusing on Lockwood. Yes, I really am that petty. "It's a little early to be breaking into someone's house, don't you think," I joke, raising a brow as I enter the kitchen.

Lockwood lets out a little chuckle. "Someone has to check in on our prisoner, and I couldn't turn down an opportunity to see him," he throws the word "him" over my shoulder to the 'prisoner' I've avoided looking at, "like this".

"Hmm," I hum. "And let me guess, you couldn't help but gloat?"

Lockwood shrugs, a smirk on his face. "Something like that." I resist the temptation to smirk back. Lockwood is growing on me, maybe he's not so bad for a wolf.

"Yes, well it was the gloating of an imbecile." A voice speaks from the living room. I lift myself up from where I was leaning against the kitchen island, turning and facing him. Klaus grins, "Hello, Love."

My face remains blank as I look him over, gauging just how much I hurt him by my actions last night. He too, keeps his face impassive as he stares back at me. A new tension fills the air as we look at one another. The others must feel it too as Caroline is eager to break it.

"Come home. Don't stoop to his level," Caroline says to Lockwood, continuing their conversation from before I walked in. With a heavy exhale, I turn my back on Klaus, glancing to the couple.

"He destroyed my life. I plan on being present for every second of his misery until I can kill him myself," Lockwood growls.

Caroline huffs, "Fine. You can gloat and multitask. This place is a disaster. Starting with a horrific burnt corpse." Caroline opens up a cabinet pulling out a sheet to cover Kol's burnt body with. I step back as Lockwood grabs the other end. As they lay the sheet on top, it's terrible, but I can't bring myself to look away. After all these centuries, Kol's dead. Those Gilberts killed him. I understand why they did it. I understand their intentions. But that doesn't mean it doesn't sting any less.

A natural instinct, to look for someone else who shares your pain, leads me to glance to Klaus. Distress is evident on his face as he watches Caroline and Lockwood. My same hurt is reflected in his eyes.

"Tyler's mother is dead," he whispers. Caroline and Lockwood look to him. "So is my brother. We're even." Lockwood huffs, walking further into the kitchen and away from the living room. Klaus's eyes flicker from me to Caroline. I lower my head to avoid them. "Call Bonnie," he mumbles, "and get her to let me out of here."

"I will never, ever, help you," Caroline says. I glance at her from the corner of my eye to see her shaking her head.

"How quickly you forget the part where I saved Tyler from the misery of being a werewolf. Or the night your mother invited me into her home to save the life of her precious daughter," Klaus argues, staring her in the eye.

"How delusional are you? You killed his mother. And let's not forget that we're standing in a house where Elena's Aunt Jenna used to live. Or did you think that your charm would make us forget how you killed her, too?" Caroline starts to get riled up as she approaches Klaus.

A bad feeling settles into my gut. "Caroline," I warn her.

She ignores me as she goes on, placing her hands together over her chest in a 'prayer' fashion, "You know what? No. I am not going to engage in this. You are not even worth the calories I burn talking to you!"

Suddenly, Klaus vamp speeds, grabbing a floor lamp and stabs Caroline with it. With his leverage, he pulls her into the living room where he bites her neck, sending werewolf venom into her system. She falls to the ground with a grunt.