The Dead are Alive

Leaning against Elena's window seat in her room, I stare out into the happy neighborhood. Elena had woken up at the morgue late last night and Stefan brought her here. Damon is with us now, pouting as he sits beside me. A gasp behind me pulls my attention and I look to find Elena awake again. Stefan sits on the bed, hovering over her as she sits up against her headboard.

"Stefan?" She whispers.

"Hey. I'm right here." He rubs a hand up and down her leg, comforting her. "You've been in and out for hours."

"Wh-what happened?" She questions, blinking. I roll my eyes, how do you not remember your own death?

"You were in an accident," he prompts her.

Elena gasps, finally remembering, "Oh my God. Matt is he...?"

"Alive?" Damon cuts in. Elena and Stefan's gaze falls upon him. "Ask Stefan. The hero." Damon's tone is harsh, angry that Stefan chose Matt's life over Elena's. When Stefan saved Matt he didn't know that Elena had vampire blood in her system. None of us knew, Meredith didn't tell anyone until it was too late. So, Damon is pissed that Stefan would chose to save someone over Elena. Because Elena's life is so precious. Major eye roll!

Elena turns her gaze back unto Stefan. "He's fine," he assures her.

She breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank you. I thought that I – how did you...?"

"Save you? He didn't." Damon bites. Elena's eyes widen in panic. She knew what this meant.

"When Jeremy brought you to the hospital before all this happened, your injuries were worse than anyone knew," Stefan explains. "Meredith Fell made a choice, she used Damon's blood to heal you."

"And when Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the road, you had vampire blood in your system, Elena," Damon finishes.

Elena begins to freak. Her breath grows hasty and her eyes bug out. "Oh my God. Does - does that mean that I – am I dead?" Stefan and Damon bow their heads, saying nothing. I bite my tongue, though desperate to make a remark, I know how hard it is to find out you're in transition. It's like a bowling ball dropped in your stomach. "No, no, no, no! That wasn't supposed to happen!"

Stefan grabs her hand, leveling her gaze, trying to calm her. "Maybe it doesn't have to. I talked to Bonnie, she says she's stronger than ever, there might be something that she can do to help you."

"No, the only thing that's going to help is for you to feed and complete the transition," Damon speaks, the voice of reason.

"We have all day before she has to feed, Damon. That's a day to exhaust every possible way out of this," Stefan argues with him.

"There is no way out of it. We all know the drill. You feed or you die. There is no door number three," Damon retorts. Stefan opens his mouth to speak but I stop him before this argument can get ugly.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but Damon's right, Stefan-"

"Thank you," Damon pipes, but I ignore him.

"There can't be a loophole for everything. Especially vampirism. Elena's just going to have to make a choice like the rest of us. You can't protect her from that. She can put on her big girl panties and decide for herself what she wants." I meet Stefan's stare, our eyes connecting. "At least she gets a choice," I mutter. My mind flashes back to Henry. Henry who turned me. And Henry who forced me into this. I never got a choice. And even Elena deserves that courtesy.