First Kill

Fingers laced together, I walk to Stefan's room. I want to know how things ended up last night, and hopefully, I can convince him to stay out of Klaus's schemes. As I approach his door, his voice reaches my ears, followed by Klaus's. I freeze, leaning in closer. I know I probably shouldn't eavesdrop, but something in my gut feels wrong.

"Think, Stefan. He took the hybrid's head which means he wants werewolf toxin," Klaus's gruff voice says. Who's he? Who are they talking about?

"Which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls to kill vampires," Stefan replies. My eyes widen. Kill vampires? The hunter must of escaped. And now he has werewolf toxin, that's just great.

"Which is a pity, as I'm half the world away digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my blood and therefore, the antidote. Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure, so your task is quite simple; find him, catch him, and above all, keep him alive. He's no good to us dead." So it appears that Stefan still is going to work with Klaus after all, just for Elena. God, why is my brother so stupid!

"Damon's been looking everywhere for him, if they cross paths..."

"You'll need to keep Damon in check."

"Be a lot easier if I could just tell him the truth."

"You trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is," Klaus says, clearly trying to pit Stefan against Damon.

"Nice try, Klaus." At least, Stefan has some brains as he sees through Klaus's weak attempt of manipulation. "But I trust Damon a hell of a lot more than I trust you."

"And I trust no one. Which is why my sister is lying daggered in a box." My mouth parts, he daggered Rebekah? I shake my head. Who am I kidding? Of course he did. Of course nothing I said would ever stop him. "The more who find out about the cure, the more who will go after it. Nations have gone to war over less. Which is also why you need to deal with your sister."

"You want me to put her down too?" Stefan's voice rages. Well, it feels good to know he cares. "Are you out of your mind, I-"

"No, no. I just need you to make sure she doesn't spoil our plans. She is the only one besides us who knows that a cure exists. She's a liability and we can't have her getting in the way. We both know that she has a tendency of getting herself in the middle of things."

Stefan sighs, as in agreement. I gape, I can't believe those two would ever think that of me. I don't have a tendency. "What do you propose I do then?"

"I don't know, Stefan. She's your sister, figure it out. Get her to join you or to go away for a little while, it doesn't matter, but you mark my words, tell one soul about the cure and I will throw the hunter's sword in the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Am I understood?" Klaus's voice is commanding. His threat echoes in my ear, followed by Stefan ending the call. Taking this as my cue, I walk into his room, arms crossed.

"So what's it going to be? Convince me to join your stupid alliance with Klaus or get me to leave town for awhile?" Stefan stands up, pocketing his phone, turning to face me.

"You heard that," he states with a sigh. Exhaustion crosses his face, followed by frustration. He throws his arms into the air. "I don't know what to tell you, Lily," he admits.

I step closer to him, narrowing my gaze. "Why don't you tell me why you think that it's a good idea to be working with Klaus?"

"I know it's stupid." Stefan closes in on me. "But I also know that working with Klaus is the only way I'm going to be able to get Elena the cure. Right now, he's my best bet."