Running Away Once Again

"You did what?" My question echoes through the expanse of the kitchen. Leaning over the counter, I look to Klaus, seated on a bar stool, with surprise.

Klaus shrugs, refilling his glass with bourbon then, leaning across to fill mine. I grip the glass greedily, sipping from it once he's drawn back. "Jeremy needed to complete his mark and the pace your dear, old brother had him going at didn't satisfy me. I thought I'd help them out by turning those humans into transitioning vampires." My lips tighten at the thought of what Jeremy, Matt, and Damon had walked into. "Your brother agreed with me, you know."

I raise a brow at this. "Really?" I couldn't see him putting Jeremy in harm's way like that, not when Elena would clearly disapprove. Though, I guess it's too late to my voice my opinion. The sun's up. Whatever had happened is done. I hum, taking another sip.

I can feel the weight of Klaus's gaze on me. Watching, observing me from his sip. Out of the corner of my eye, he idly raises his glass to his lips. Silence passes between us but a comfortable one. I know what he's waiting for, though. He wants to know what his sister is up to. He told me about his day; now, it's my turn.

With a quiet sigh, I place my glass on the counter. Resting my chin on top of my hand, I meet those deep, blue eyes. "She had Stefan, Elena, and Caroline compelled to answer her every question. She wanted to learn more about the cure." Klaus's brows rise at this.

"And what was your part in all of this?"

I sigh, taking another long sip of my drink. "I don't know." I shrug, my face twisting. "She offered me entertainment and information, so I agreed to play along with her games."

"But?" Klaus probes, knowing the fall of my voice too well.

I shift, leaning my forearms against the counter-top as my head drops a little. "But it wasn't what I thought I had signed up for. I thought that I would get to learn more about this cure that everyone is obsessed with, though instead, I got to hear of my brothers' miserable love lives. Something I would have preferred to have avoided." With a roll of my eyes, I pick up my drink and down it.

Klaus hums, smiling to himself as he watches me. "You know, for someone who seems to despise drama, you certainly do attract a lot of it."

My lips part in surprise as his teasing tone. I narrow my gaze at him. "Okay, kettle," he chuckles at my defensive tone, "you're one to talk. I don't think that there's ever been a time when you and your family haven't stirred up some ounce of trouble." My head raises as I straighten. "At least my problems don't usually end up with my name at the top of a kill list."

"Touché." He drawls out, smirking at me as he finishes his drink. "Although you seem to have forgotten about 1867 to 1887."

I blink at him as I let the years and their memories flood my mind. I hum, "Yes. The decades of peace, as Elijah loved to call that time. Well, as peaceful as the Mikaelsons could ever be." A hint of a smile appears on my lips. He's right. It was a good time, although it was always shadowed by misery at Rebekah's position. "That is," I stare into his deep, blue eyes, "until you finally let Rebekah free. You know, when you undaggered her and broke her heart."

Klaus shoots me a deadpan glare. "Why do you always have to ruin my fun?" He stands from the bar stool, stepping around the corner to stand in front of me. "Why not let yourself relive the past with me? To remember all the joy we had," he takes a step closer to me, a finger reaching out to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "Because if I remember correctly," his lips twist upwards, "in those decades, you couldn't keep your hands off of me."