Class In Session

Hidden amongst the crowd, candle burning in my hand, I listen to Sheriff Forbes, who stands at a podium on the gym floor. From up here in the bleachers, her voice echoes. "Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand of its members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than a leader; she was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident."

I don't know why I'm here. I don't why I felt so compelled to show up. But the sniffles, the crying around me, and all the mourning, it makes me feel...feel human once more. Death will do that to you. It'll always remind you how fragile life is, how vulnerable humans are. To think that I was the same as them once, so so fragile. So helpless.

I blink, shaking the thoughts from my head. I may have been like them once, but I'm not anymore. I'm stronger, more powerful. I can't and won't break as easily.

"Screw this," Tyler's hiss reaches my ears. With a frown, I watch him stand up, a few rows in front of me.

"What? Tyler? Tyler?" Caroline whispers after his retreating figure.

The Sheriff notices Tyler leaving, but continues on. "Please join me in a minute of silence in her memory."

The crows drops their heads in compliance. To my right, I watch Elena shift in her seat. With a raised brow, I watch her whisper to Bonnie before standing, exiting the gym. I'm temped to follow, but I stay put instead. "Thank you so much. In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mr. Rudy Hopkins." There's applause as the new Mayor steps up to the podium.

"Thank you so much, Sheriff. Carol Lockwood put this town first. That's why I'm here to talk to you guys. You folks are the future of Mystic Falls..." I drown at the rest of the new Mayor's words as I scan the crowd. Something's not right. I can feel it in my gut.

When the assembly ends, I don't leave right away. My eyes dance over the people flooding out the doors, looking for a clue about what's going on. I do manage to get a few looks as I'm not a student these kids have seen before. I huff at the thought, a student. No, thank you.

It was only as the last few trickle out that I get my answers. As heels click on the floor, approaching me, I turn to face Rebekah. I smirk at her. "Welcome back to the land of the living. Well I guess in our case the land of the un-living, but you get the point."

"Lily," Rebekah smiles. "I'm surprised that you're still here, I'd thought you would have left this small town already."

I shrug, "Sorry to disappoint. I guess I'm just not one to take off fleeing at the first sign of danger, leaving the ones I love behind."

She grimaces at my dig, but nevertheless maintains her composure as her gaze softens. "Allow me to make it up to you."

I frown, crossing my arms over my chest as I watch her with a wariness. "How?"

Her lips turn up as her eyes twinkle with mischief, a mirror to Klaus. "Information, of course. And maybe some entertainment as well." I raise a brow, offering her the chance to explain. Her grin widens, knowing that she has me. "Follow me." I groan at the command but comply anyways. She leads me toward the school library. I frown, what is she up to?

Pushing the door open, I trail behind her, confused until I see the scene in front of me. "What fresh hell is this?" I mutter at the sight of Caroline, Elena, and Stefan all sat at a table together. April Young with them.