Here We Go

Klaus's POV

I pace Damon's cell in the Salvatore Boarding House whilst he lies mindlessly on a cot tossing a ball into the air. "You know, none of this would be an issue if you'd have just done your job properly. I was perfectly willing to let you train Jeremy," I mumble to him, already fed up with babysitting.

"No, you weren't," Damon replies back as I glance to him. "Are you kidding? You got there day two. Do you know how hard it is to get these Xbox brains to focus?" He shoots me an incredulous look.

I grin to myself a little. "And then when I turned a room full of barflies into vampires for him to slaughter, you let Kol kill them."

"Your brother problem, not mine, buddy."

"And whose bright idea was it to saddle Jeremy with a conscience, hmm?" I ask, continuing my ridicule.

"Well, we couldn't have him trying to stake Elena in her sleep, now, could we?"

"Ah, yes, for the love of Elena," I echo. It's always a sacrifice for love to the Salvatore brothers. Still pacing the length of the cell, I study the eldest Salvatore. "How is it that she manages to overlook every horrific thing you've ever done? Is it willful ignorance, or perhaps something more pathological?" My eyes narrow as I scan for his reaction.

"Some people are just more capable of forgiveness than others," he replies with disinterest. His eyes find mine as he attempts an insult, "Bet you score about a negative 500 in that realm."

Grimly, I smile in Damon's direction as he looks away and throws the ball once more. How is it that he always gets Elena to come back to him? To forgive him? "Come on," I pester. "There must be a secret. It can't just be the sire bond. What is it? Compulsion? Manipulation?" I sigh, pausing in my step as I look to him, wary of how my question will appear. "What is it you say to her?" How can I win your sister back? Is what I refuse to ask.

Damon pauses, his eyes watchful as he sits up. He smirks as he takes in my words. A rush of rage ebbs me as his eyes gleam with in amusement. "I think this has something to do with a certain snarky Salvatore, and I'm not talking about Stefan." His eyes widen with mischief. "I think you did something to hurt Lily, and I think you're afraid she won't ever forgive you."

I glare at him. "You've done worse."

"Debatable," Damon replies through gritted teeth. "I might have grown distant from my sister over this last century, but that doesn't mean that I don't know her. She trusts too easily and all that's gotten her is hurt. So," his shoulders lift in a shrug, "she's become guarded, she trusts no one now and she doesn't let people in."

Sorrow passes through the Salvatore's eyes before it's gone. She trusted him once, I think, just like she did me. But now, she's thrown us both to the side.

Damon grimaces as he meets my eyes, anger flashing through them. "I'm guessing she let you in once," disgust highlights his features, "and then you did something to betray that trust, in your typical Klaus way." I scowl at him. He lets out a bitter laugh. "You hurt her and she still hasn't forgiven you, no matter how close you two have gotten." Images of her skin pressed against mine, our lips melding together flash through my mind.

A smirk reappears on Damon's lips. "Another thing I know about my sister," a laugh falls from his lips again, "is that she doesn't forget and she hardly forgives." He shakes his head, looking over me with a mock pitiful expression that I want to shred from his face. He shrugs. "See, I don't mind being the bad guy, because somebody has to fill that role and get things done. You do bad things for no reason. You do them to be a dick."