181

The nightmare picked up with daylight. I saw a peachy orange color behind my eye lids. The sunlight was warm against my skin. Warmth. Heat. Fire.

My eyes snapped open. My was too sore to move immediately. The name of my baby brother escaped my lips. Memories flooded back to me. I looked around frantically. I remembered his scream. I remembered blacking out. The large man was gone, and so was Mason. My little brother...what had happened to Mason? I could feel his name on my tongue as clear as the morning light on his skin. He was gone. I was all alone.

A rustling sound near by roused me to my feet, my senses on high alert. What would become of me? I sucked in air, my chest heaving. I couldn't cry. If I started crying, I wouldn't be able to see where I was going when I ran. Somehow, my feet wouldn't budge. My head kept snapping from side to side looking around for whatever was approaching.

A large shadow fell over me. I screamed and thrashing around violently, struggling against the arms reaching for me.

"Blair!" It was a voice I recognized. I opened my eyes and stared up into the dark eyes of a family friend. I said his name, but the sound was muffled.

The tears fell one by one. His expression was contorted with grief and shock, just as I imagined mine was. I threw my small arms around his neck, holding on with all the strength I had left. He held me and said nothing. I just kept crying and crying.

"They took Mason," I sobbed miserably.

He didn't say anything. He just held me a little tighter.

Soon, he started walking. I didn't know where we were going, but I knew for certain that he was all I had left right then. Everyone else was dead or gone.