172

After we broke our huddle, everyone sprung into action. Brandon zipped toward the dealership building. Maple disappeared into the air somewhere to keep watch, while Sting pointed to a black Chevy parked in a row of about fifteen SUVs. "That one," he said. "It has the most gas in it."

"Let's go," Delilah said, grabbing my hand. Beetle attached himself to her back and I lead the way to the van. "Even if Brandon manages to knock everyone unconscious, who knows how long finding the key will take?"

She was right. Ours was the hardest part of the plan.

We arrived at the driver's side door. I gave the handle a tug to see if it was already open. No luck. "B, you're up," I said. He nodded and shrunk down to bug size. Delilah picked him off her back and held him in her hand.

"You know what to do," Delilah knelt and extended her arm under the car. A minute passed before Beetle appeared, boy-sized again, in the driver's seat and unlocked the door.

Relief poured through me. Just because this was my plan didn't mean it was going to work. 

I leaned into the cab. "Good job," I exhaled, touching his face. Delilah appeared around the other side and started feeling around. "Now, we're looking for some sort of ID information. It will correspond to the key, somewhere in the building. Like a piece of paper or a serial number."

"Let's use the ignition," Delilah decided. Trying not to cringe, I watched as Delilah's finger slid into the small slot. Apparently, her bones were squishy. Or nonexistent.

She left her finger inside for a few seconds, memorizing the imprint, and a moment later said, "Got it. Now, let's go find that key."