Chapter 4.

Dedicating this chapter to joyofmusic15, your support on Sirene really meant the world to me. Thank you so much :)

*************************************************************************************

Chapter 4

 “I can just imagine the surprise on Stephanie’s face when she sees you!” Beth giggled as they climbed out of the carriage and walked up to the simple cottage that was the home of Dr. and Mrs. Wilkens.

 “They’ve got a very nice house.” Oceana said with a smile.

 “It’s very simple,” Beth replied, “the furniture is rather plain and though everything is always clean it is not in any way fancy. Anyone can see they are not people of means.”

 “And is there something wrong with not being a person of means?” Oceana put her hands on her hips and glared at Beth.

 “No,” Beth got defensive in reply to Oceana’s obvious aggression. “I never said there was anything wrong with it, I merely pointed it out as fact.”

 Oceana rolled her eyes. “I am not a person of means either, so Dr. and Mrs. Wilkens home will suit me perfectly, it will even suit me better than your fancy home over at Miss Pattereson’s.”

 “Oh Oceana, don’t be cross with me.” Beth pleaded. “I hadn’t meant to give offenses, I didn’t know you would be so put out by my simple statement.”

 “I’m can never be cross with your for long, Beth, but I wish you wouldn’t speak like that, it isn’t right you know. Like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with not being a person of ‘means.’”

 “I already said I was sorry, there, let’s put an end to the matter and not fight anymore. You stand behind me while I knock on the door.”

 Beth reached over and knocked. Presently the door opened and the dark blue eyes of Stephanie peeked out.

“Why, it’s you Beth!” She exclaimed and opened the door very wide.  “Come in, come in, how glad we are that you have come to visit, we haven’t seen you in quite a long while. But that isn’t a surprise, with the engagement and all, you must be in over your head with all the preparations. When is the ball again?”

 “Just a little less than two weeks.” Beth replied.

 "Oh, have you brought a friend with you?” Stephanie suddenly noticed someone standing behind Beth.

 “Yes, I did, would you mind terribly is she came in with me?”

 “Not at all, always glad to have Beth’s friends here.”

 Trying their hardest to fight the giggles that where threatening to come out, Beth and Oceana stepped through the door and were soon inside the house.

 “So, is there any news from Oceana, I haven’t had a letter from her for some time already. But then, I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that she is also all caught up in some romance; that girl will be eighteen by now. My sister Estelle was getting ready for marriage at that age. We celebrated her wedding just a few weeks after her eighteenth birthday.”

 “Oceana isn’t courting anyone even though half the village is chasing after her.” Oceana said with a knowing smile.

 “Why, you know her too?” Stephanie looked over at Oceana with surprise.

 “I think I know her better than anyone in the world.” Oceana said and winked at Stephanie. Stephanie walked up and closely looked at the young girl.