Chapter 26 (part 1)

First the good news. MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN FIXED!!!!!!! and guess what? I had it fixed for free :D My dad so kindly helped me out and did everything :D :D :D (yes, he really is so amazing!)

The not so good news is my teacher just LOADED me up with homework :/ So, I wasn't able to get the entire chapter complete thanks to that. But I did write a part of it, and I figured, why not post it, just so I wouldn't keep you waiting. And seeing my computer is back, I shouldn't have much trouble getting the other part finished.

So here you go, enjoy, enjoy and more is coming :D

************************************************************************************

Chapter 26 (part 1)

The Admiral had been sure that Wesley’s visit would go splendidly. He secretly hoped that Oceana might be able to convince Wesley to travel to Scotland and make peace with his father. It was about time the long lost father and the long lost son found each other. The hard part was getting that idea through Wesley’s thick head. Here was the living proof that his adopted son was really a highlander, even though he had long lost his accent, that obstinate Scottish skull remained unchanged. Admiral Chesterton hoped Oceana would be able to get through to him, love tends to change people, or so people said. Wesley’s behavior yesterday didn’t exactly help in proving that theory true.

Needless to say, Admiral Chesterton was very surprised when Wesley came back home long before expected.

“I’m guessing you meeting didn’t go very well,” he said.

“It didn’t happen at all. Oceana left for home last night.”

“Ah, you see, you should have gone yesterday. Learn this lesson, Wesley my boy, never put off things for tomorrow, because tomorrow may never come.”

The Admiral’s maximums only annoyed Wesley all the more. “Yes, thank you Admiral.”

“Now don’t be cross with me, my boy, better tell me what you plan to do now?”

“She left me a note,” Wesley pulled out the piece of paper.

“Oh? How romantic. Is it something very personal or are you willing to share it with your old Admiral?”

“Read it all you want, it is nothing more than Robin’s parting speech from a Mid Summer Night’s Dream.”

“Oooh, Shakespeare, very romantic indeed.”

“Romantic perhaps, but I can’t quite understand what she means by it. I know, I know, I’m supposed to read in between the lines, but I can’t understand her message.”

“That is because you know nothing of poetry,” Admiral Chesterton grumbled, “I’ve told you time and again that as an officer you must not only be educated in the world of war, but also the world of art and literature. You are a gentleman as much as you are a soldier.”

“I read plenty of literature,” Wesley argued.

“You read too much prose, but not hardly enough poetry. Poetry is the language of love, how can you expect to speak it if you cannot understand it? Your mermaid here seems to speak it fluently. Come, give me the poem. Lucky for you I am fluent in speaking and understanding poetry, even if I am an old, crusty bachelor.” Admiral Chesterton took the paper out of Wesley’s outstretched hand.

If we the shadows have offended,” he read aloud, “think but this and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme no more yield but a dream…seriously, Wesley, what is there not to understand? You have to be a true simpleton to not get what she is trying to get across.”