Chapter 26 (part 2)

so this was fast :P I stayed up most of the night and got up pretty early this morning and voila, the second half of the chapter is finished. I'm surprised how quickly it came to me, lol. I mean, I of course had the whole thing planned out, but I didn't think I would be able to get it written as fast as I did :)

Dedicated to AndreaBorup, a huge thanks for so faithfully reading and voting for my story, I really appreciate the support :)

****************************************************************************************

Chapter 26 (part 2)

Two days had passed since Oceana had left, and Wesley still hadn’t made up his mind about what he was going to do. Admiral Chesterton hadn’t bothered him with the question at hand, he seemed content to just watch and wait. This both comforted and irritated Wesley. It was nice that the the Admiral was keeping his nose out of his business, but the silence wasn’t helping Wesley make up his mind either.

On the third day after Oceana’s sudden departure from London, Wesley had gone to call on Captain Morrely and his wife and to congratulate them on the news that Leslie was expecting. As he made his way back home, he spotted a familiar face. For a minute Wesley searched his brain, trying to remember the man’s name, at last it came to him.

“Dr. Wilkens,” he called out. The man stopped and turned around. His face clouded as he tried to recognize who it was that had just called his name.

“Lt. Wesley Chesterton,” Wesley reminded him, walking up closer to where the doctor stood. “Oceana introduced us, do you remember?”

Dr. Wilkens stood in deep thought until at last his face brightened. “Ah, yes, now it comes back to me, yes, you were walking with Oceana when she was trying to get to Pentotville Prison. I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you when you called me.”

“Do not trouble yourself, we only met briefly and it was two years ago. Are you on your way home, sir?”

“That I am, and you?”

“Also on my way home, I was visiting my captain. I assume you are coming back from the prison?”

“Yes, what is more, I am in a particularly good mood, I had two converts today.” Dr. Wilkens’ voice was filled with satisfaction. “I’m looking forward to telling my family. It is always a joyful evening when they know someone in that wretched place gave his life to Jesus.”

An idea popped into Wesley’s mind. “Dr. Wilkens,” he asked, “what sort of men do you minister too in the prison?”

“Oh,” Dr. Wilkens gave a chuckle, “from petty thieves to hardened criminals, there is a big mix of everything vile in that prison.”

“And what do you tell them exactly?”

“Well, I tell them that are willing they can receives forgiveness and mercy from a God who loved them enough to die on a cross for them. I tell them there is still hope for their life, all they have to do is accept it. Not all do, mind you, my work isn’t one of those where it is a convert every day, but patience comes through in the end and men do give their lives to God.”

“But don’t you think it rather unfair to talk about forgiveness to men who deserve justice?”

Dr. Wilkens laughed at these words. “My dear Lieutenant, the whole idea of the cross goes against the idea of justice. I am not saying they are not going to pay the price for breaking the law. You don’t know how many men I have converted that went to the hangman’s the next day. No, I am telling them that God loves them, and can give them a change of heart and hope for a better life, be it in this world or the next. Love covers a multitude of sins, and God loves those wretched prisoners as much as he loves the most faithful and dedicated church goers.”