Chapter 7

Chapter 7.

“I’m so nervous, I can hardly breathe.” Beth confessed to Oceana in an excited whisper.

“You’ll never survive your wedding day if a simple engagement party already makes you giddy.” Oceana pointed out as she put the finishing touches on Beth’s hairstyle. Oceana had insisted on doing Beth’s hair for the ball. The two girls had been stuck in Beth’s room since early morning readying themselves for the big event.

“Oh Beth, you look like a dream.” Oceana sighed as she gazed at her friend with nothing but admiration. Beth was dressed in a silk gown that looked white, but when the folds rustled one could see that it was actually a very pale purple. Her black curly hair had star-flowers woven into it and her feet were encased in beautiful white shoes.

“If you want to see real beauty, gaze upon your own reflection.” Beth answered with a giggle, grabbing Oceana and leading her to the mirror. Oceana had insisted on wearing green, saying it went well with her completion. Her dress was a lot simpler than Beth’s, but it was the simplicity of the dress that truly brought out Oceana’s natural beauty.

“I still think you ought to have a flower in your hair.” Beth stated as she looked Oceana up and down. “You don’t seem complete without one. I know,” Beth ran over to her dressing table and grabbed an orchid from the vase. Coming back, she gently placed it in Oceana’s hair. “There,” She said with great satisfaction, “just the thing.”

Oceana critically evaluated the orchid in her hair. She didn’t really like it, but it wasn't all that bad and Beth obviously wanted it in her hairstyle so Oceana decided to leave it be. It’s not like she would be looking at herself in the mirror all the time.

“At last the two of us are ready,” Oceana said, “come along Beth, or we shall be late. Miss Patterson is probably wondering what on earth is taking us so long.”

“Miss Patterson understands,” Beth argued, “or have you not noticed how not once has she ever come over to ask us how much longer we plan to be in this room.”

“That may be the case, but I see no reason why we should not go down if we are ready.” Oceana pointed out in a practical tone. Beth took a deep long breath.

“Alright, let us go.”

“I repeat, dearest Beth, you’ll never get through your wedding.” Oceana giggled, taking Beth by the hand and leading her out of the room. “Miss Patterson, is the carriage ready?” Oceana called out as they walked down the stairs.

“Been ready for a good while already.” Miss Patterson replied. “The pair of you sure took forever, but don’t worry, there is no need to justify yourself, I understand perfectly.”

Beth gave Oceana an ‘I told you so’ look. Oceana merely rolled her eyes. The three ladies put on their coats and stepped out into the cool evening air.

Beth was nervous the entire ride to the hall where the ball was to be held. She kept grasping Oceana’s hand and more than once Oceana had remarked that if Beth didn't want to cut off all circulation in Oceana's right arm, she must not grip her so tightly.

“This is it.” Beth gasped as the carriage came to a halt.

“It’s just an engagement Beth; it’s not even the actual wedding.” Oceana was starting to get seriously annoyed.

“I know, I know, but still.” Beth inhaled as much air as her lungs would allow. Slowly she let it all out and putting on her bravest face, stepped out of the carriage and into the grand hall.

***

“Oceana, I wish you to meet my fiancé.”

Oceana’s eyes lit up. At last she was going to meet Edward Burmmington, the man Beth could never cease talking about. She intently studied his facial features, he had a cleft in his chin and his nose was rather stubby, but on the whole Oceana had to admit he was very handsome.