Chapter 22 (part 2)

Chapter 22 (part 2)

"Tell me again, what was it that kept Miss Patterson from coming?” Admiral Chesterton asked Oceana as he, Wesley, Oceana and a Mrs. Venora (who had agreed to act as Oceana's chaperon) boarded the steam boat that was to take them and the other passengers on a tour of the Thames River.

 “Miss Patterson cannot quite stomach anything that has to do with a boat,” Oceana explained.

 “Ah yes, I forgot about the fact that the dear woman gets sea sick,” Admiral Chesterton nodded his head, “poor lady, can't stomach even the thought of a rocking boat. I guess that is one of the many reasons why we never married, though many people hoped we would, none so much as her mother.”

 “Did you actually consider marrying Miss Patterson?” Wesley was interested about this part of the Admiral's past he had never heard of before.

 “Well, yes and no. I sort of fancied that if I ever married I would like to marry a woman like her, but at the same time the navy was my life and I spent almost all my time aboard my ship and I knew I would never be a good family man, you of all people know how true that is, Wesley my boy, so at one point I decided I wouldn't marry at all.”

 “Because you were married to your ship and your first love was the sea,” Oceana said with a mysterious smile.

 “That is a very poetic way of putting it, my dear,” Admiral Chesterton pointed out, “I like the way it sounds, married to my ship and the first love being the sea, yes, it sounds very poetic indeed.”

 “Thank you, Admiral, only I didn't make it up, it is what Chandler always said.”

 “Ah, so that is how it is, your Chandler smuggler fellow never married either, did he?”

 “No sir, though...” Oceana paused for a moment then lowered her voice, “he was very fond of woman, if you understand what I mean?”

 “Something of the Don Juan, eh?” A twinkle appeared in Admiral Chesterton's eyes.

 “I guess you could say something like that,” Oceana giggled a littl.

 Wesley inhaled loudly, he didn't want to be too obvious, but he was a little annoyed at how Admiral Chesterton was dominating the conversation with Oceana when he really wanted to have her full attention. Admiral Chesterton looked over at him and shook his head.

 “It is a pity that Miss Patterson was not able to come over, for now I shall be very bored indeed. You young people will just talk to two of you and what shall I do?”

 “Talk to Mrs. Venora?” Wesley suggested.

 “You can always be counted on, Wesley my boy, to help matters,” Admiral Chesterton joked.

 “I don't see why the three of us cannot speak together,” Oceana said.

 “Ah, my dear, I may be old, but I can yet see and I know when two people want to speak together without drawing too much attention from the local gossip. I know I am here as a distraction, go on the two of you, I shall find plenty with which to occupy myself. However, in return for my sacrifice, I demand that you sing a song for me, Oceana.”

 “It would be my pleasure, Admiral,” Oceana's smile got all the wider. If there as one thing she loved, it was performing in public.

 “What, out here?” Wesley questioned.

 “Why not, I'm sure the rest of the passengers will not mind. I have in on good authority that people never mind when I get it into my head to sing. Trust me, even the guards at the border would get so entertained with my singing that Callum and Chandler would be able to sneak cargo right past them.”