Chapter 8 (part 2)

Chapter 8 (part 2)

Dedicating this chapter to Tiger-Leopard_44. Thank you so much for following this story, for your comments and votes. I really appreaciate your support. :)

***************************************************************************************

“Miss Oceana, I am grateful you have found time in your busy schedule.” Edward was all smiles as he greeted Oceana at the door.

 “I do indeed have a busy schedule, so I would appreciate if you would hurry up and get done and over with whatever it was that you wanted to say.” Oceana crisply replied. Edward led her into the study and shut the door behind her. Oceana was on her guard as he motioned for her to sit into a chair.

 “Well, Mr. Burmmington, what was it you wanted to tell me. I seem to recall you mentioning in your note that it was somehow connect with Miss Warren as well with myself.”

 “Just a moment, Miss Oceana,” Edward took a deep breath as Oceana eyed him with curiosity. “Miss Oceana, I was wondering if you would allow me to court you.”

For a couple of seconds Oceana couldn’t say anything, she just stared at Edward with wide eyes. Did he just ask if he could court her?

 “Mr. Burmmington,” she sputtered at last, “allow me to remind you that you are engaged to Elizabeth Warren, and when you called me here you made it clear that this had to do with Miss Warren and myself.”

 “Miss Oceana, I know this must be a little shocking for you, but I assure you I can explain. Ever since I first laid eyes on you, you have smitten me and try as I might, I cannot get you out of my head. If I could, I would get down on my knees and beg you to be my wife right here and now, but I know I must go about this properly. As for my engagement to Miss Warren, I have put that to an end.”

“You have what?” Oceana couldn’t believe all this was happening.

“I find that I cannot marry her. To marry is to bind yourself to a person for the rest of your life. This is a commitment I fear I cannot take, it would be unfair to Miss Warren to marry her while my heart belongs to another person. I no longer care for her and so I have freed her from what would have been a very unhappy marriage for the both of us. Trust me, Miss Oceana, that I cannot marry someone while being in love with someone else. Today I have written to Miss Warren, telling her that my feelings now lie elsewhere and releasing her from her promise to me. So you see, I am free to court you and to marry you. I am a man of comfortable means and you may not know this, but my uncle is an Earl and he has no son, so one day, if all goes well, I may inherit a title and a large sum of money. Your life would be easy and comfortable, you could travel to Europe and the East, you could do whatever you want. So, will you please allow me to court you?”

“Mr. Burmmington,” Oceana slowly stated, all the while wondering if she were perhaps in a dream, “if all the world and love were young, and truth in every barrister’s tongue.”

Edward was confused by her answer. “What is that suppose to mean, Miss Oceana?”

“That means I am trying to be polite and poetic in telling you that you are a total and utter scoundrel.” Oceana fought her best to keep her temper in check. “Never have I, in word or in deed given you the slightest encouragement to any of your advances. What put it into your mind that I would want to be courted by a jilt like yourself? You have broken with my best friend because of a fancy you felt for me? Are you even in your right mind?”

“It is not a fancy, Miss Oceana…”

“Do you even know anything about me?” Oceana cut him off. “You tell me you may inherit the title of Earl, that will put you in the spotlight of society and you would of course want a wife who will be able to bear the title with honor.”