Chapter 16

Dedicating this chapter to AdriannaEllefson. Thanks for your support :)

Seriously, all of you guys are so amazing :)

******************************************************************************************

Chapter 16

Oceana sat biting the tip of her pen, wondering who to write first. After some indecision, she dipped her pen into the ink and began.

May 10th, 1910.

Dear Miss Patterson,

I know you may find my intervening very annoying and I apologize for it. Yet I feel I must step in and intercede for Beth. I know you disapprove of the match because Dr. Blackwood is just a doctor and a Scot at that. I can also understand you are angry with Beth for doing things behind your back. I have been trying to get her to tell you for over four months. The only reason she ever hid anything from you was out of fear. She knows of your very strong views and didn’t want to come into conflict with them. We both know how Beth is always avoiding conflict. I am not excusing her behavior, but I thought it would be good for you to understand her.

Miss Patterson, I don’t know what rules and regulations make up your views on life and by what fixed ideas you go by, but I hardly think it fair to impose them on Beth. You were very kind in taking her out of that orphanage and bringing her up in the wonderful way you did, but Miss Patterson, do you really think it fair to put her in a gilded cage? Remember how long ago you asked me why I didn’t want to come and live with you, this is exactly why. There is no freedom in the life you live.

Dr. Blackwood is a good man, he may not be very rich or have some fancy title of famous family, but we both know that is not what a girl should look for in a match. It is honesty, integrity and a loving heart that matters. It is the ability to make the right choice, to stand strong when things go wrong and to help and support one another. I know Dr. Blackwood has these qualities. Edward Burmmington was considered a good match and look what became of it. Do you not think it would be better for Beth to be happy than rich?

Miss Patterson, please, for once in your life put aside those silly rules that you have been brought up with. You hardly even know the man you have already set prejudices against. Would it not be fair of you to get to know him at least a little?

If your one reason for taking Beth in was just so you could have someone to amuse you, then I think it would have been better if Beth would have remained in the orphan asylum. Beth is not a little dolly you can pamper and dress and do whatever it is you want. Beth is a soul and I think she should be given a little freedom to make her own choices. We both know that Beth will never dive into something without thinking it through. She is not impulsive or foolish, she evaluates all the pros and cons before going along with something. She wants to do the right thing in life. It is not something evil or harmful she wishes for, so why not give her a little space to breath? And if she should make a choice that does not agree with those standards you follow, then perhaps you should just understand that Beth wasn’t destined to live the same sort of life you were. Perhaps she is just like me and all her heart desires is a little bit of freedom.

I know Beth will never go against your wishes, if you forbid her to see Dr. Blackwood; she will put her communication with him to an end. But why rob her of happiness? Why snuff out this little flame? Miss Patterson, I beg, look deep inside your heart, do you really think that Dr. Blackwood is a bad match, or do you only say that because it is what you have been told.

Miss Patterson, remember the conversation I had with you, when you came to Scotland so long ago in the hopes of taking back with you to London. Remember all the words I told you, all the arguments I presented. Remember it all and then think of Beth and her predicament in the same light.