Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The long awaited wedding day proved to be rather cloudy, but at least there was no rain. Beth was so nervous she had trouble eating anything for breakfast. Miss Patterson fussed how she might faint while walking down the aisle, and this frightened Beth into taking a little nourishment.

Much to her relief, Beth did not go into a swoon during the wedding procession and everything went just the way she had hoped. Robert stood at the altar with the priest and his cousin James, who was serving as his best man. Even Oceana was on her best behavior and didn't come up with any smart comments during the ceremony.

"I now pronounce you Man and Wife."

Oceana smiled broadly as Robert leaned over and kiss the now Mrs. Blackwood. How happy she was for her friend. "Oh God, help them to have a very happy life." Oceana silently prayed.

The wedding reception was a small, but never the less grand affair. Oceana was busy trying to hide from a young gentleman who had been ogling her ever since she had followed Beth into the church. She guessed he must be one of Dr. Blackwood's relatives. She was so busy looking behind her to make sure she wasn't being followed; she failed to notice the person standing in front and collided straight into her.

"Thousand apologies," Oceana sputtered.

"Ah Oceana, I still see you do not watch where you are going," Miss Morgan said with a smile. "Don't trouble yourself, I am not hurt."

"Oh, Miss Morgan, how wonderful to see you again." Oceana stated, while inwardly cringing. Miss Morgan had not changed greatly, she was a little bent and her hair was completely grey. But she still carried herself with a great dignity and respect.

"It is good to see you too, Oceana. To think I have not seen you in nearly ten years. You have certainly grown to be a very beautiful young woman. Miss Patterson tells me you are a school teacher now?"

"Yes ma'am, I teach at the village school."

"And how do you find teaching?"

"I like it very much. There is nothing I love more than being surrounded by children. Though of course there are plenty of challenges."

"I should say. Now you understand how hard it was for your teachers."

"I am sorry for all the trouble I caused." Oceana's eyes searched for a way out of this awkward situation.

"That is alright, I am sure you learned a great deal during your stay with us. Though why you chose to ran away is still a mystery to me."

"I just wanted to be with the people I loved most." Oceana caught her escape. Not far off she noticed Leslie Morrely serving herself some punch. "If you will excuse me, Miss Morgan, there is someone I must talk too. It was wonderful to see you again, and I wish to thank you for all the hard work you did for me. Those years at the orphanage were good for me and I learned a lot. Once again, I am sorry if I made it hard for you." Oceana curtsied and hurried off to where Leslie was standing. She was about to call out to her, but at the right moment, Leslie turned and caught sight of Oceana.

"Why, if it isn't Miss Oceana," Leslie exclaimed. "I am so glad to see you in London again. We didn't see or hear from you ever since you left. You remained quite the mystery you wanted too."

"It is good to see you again, Mrs. Morrely."

"Oh, I beg of you, call me Leslie, and I shall call you Oceana. There is no need to be so formal, we know each other from before."

"Very well, Leslie, it is a lovely name. How have you been these two years? Have you heard from your husband?"

"Heard from him, I should say so, he is present at the wedding. Robert, dear, come over here." Leslie waved to her husband.