Chapter 11

unfamiliar words are marked with a star (*) and the meaning can be found at the end of the chapter :)

Dedicating this chapter to NatalieHunter7. Thank you so much for your votes. I truly appreciate your support on my story :)

**********************************************************************************

Chapter 11

“Elizabeth Marie Warren, what was the point of us coming to Edinburgh if you want to remain in a hotel room?” Oceana asked her friend in frustration. The two girls had arrived in the city the afternoon before and it had taken them the entire evening to settle in. The next day found them in disagreement. Oceana was itching to go sightseeing while Beth insisted they could remain indoors.

“Why don’t we see if the hotel has a library?” She suggested.

“Beth!” Oceana burst out in exasperation. “We came here to see the city, not to hide behind closed doors. You can lock yourself up in the library when you return London.While you are with me I am determiend to keep you out in the fresh air.”

“Oceana, it’s cold outside and…”

“And nothing! Bundle up and lets’ go. There is so much to see. I’m dying to visit Edinburgh Castle and walk through Old Town and climb Calton Hill. Come along, we’ve had  our breakfast so put on your coat and boots and let us be off.”

Beth grumbled as Oceana pulled her out of her seat and pushed her towards the closet with her dresses.

“It’s cold outside.” Beth tried to protest again.

“Put on a wool dress.” Oceana retorted. Beth understood that arguing was futile and slowly began searching for something to wear. Oceana could be quite merciless at times, and now was one of those times.

***

“You really want to walk up that hill…are you sure we can?” Beth was a little hesitant.

“Of course we can climb it.” Oceana confidently replied. “Come along, dearest Beth, we’ll just follow the road. I mean, if I could climb the wall of the orphan asylum, who is to stop us walking up the Calton Hill?”

Beth giggled as she remembered that summer night when Oceana had run away from the orphanage. How long ago it all seemed now. “You caused such a stir. Poor Miss Grey was sure you had evaporated straight into thin air and Miss Emily said something about you floating through the ceiling. It was the biggest commotion ever. You know, it is such a pity we did not go to the asylum while you were in London. What a shock we would have given Miss Morgan.”

“I don't think it would have been such a shock. Miss Patterson still visits the asylum, does she not? Surely they discuss me with Miss Morgan and Miss Grey and anyone else who remembers.”

“Of course Miss Patterson visits and every now and then the discussion will turn to you, but still, Miss Morgan does not expect to see you there in person.”

“I don’t know if she would appreciate seeing me, but perhaps it could be fun.” Oceana mused. The girls were so busy in their conversation they failed to notice the patch of ice on the road. All at once Beth slipped and fell to the ground, dragging Oceana with her. Oceana quickly disentagled herself from Beth and srambled to her feet. Beth was not so fast in following.

“My ankle,” she moaned. “It hurts dreadfully.”

“Uh oh.” Oceana frowned and kneeling back down, took to feeling Beth’s boot.

“I hope it’s not broken, it hurts an awful lot.” Beth whined. The ground was cold and wet and she was in great discomfort.

“I don’t think it’s broken.” Oceana tried to reassure. “But it’s hard to tell with your boot on.”