Chapter Two: The Lounging Dove, Pt 1

870 P.C, Lumynos, Hearth-Home, Luminya.

The city was endlessly noisy. Spring was in full bloom, and people were visiting the capital for many reasons.

Tradesmen stocked and sold their wares, and the wandering tribes passed through often to sell their furs, bones and teeth, bringing news of their travels from the north. People of every background, religion, and standing flocked to the city this time of year.

Recruits of all ages flocked to the army, and dozens of hopeful youths were trying to gain attendance to the Tower. Political summits were in motion, envoys were returning from their travels to the lands beyond the capital, high ladies were parading about in the newest of fashions, noblemen and peasants alike were all full of vigor now that the rains of early spring were passing.

Katerin had learned years ago how to block out the noise, and today was too important to let anything distract her. She paced around with nervous steps. A backpack sat on her bed, full of her various belongings. Her clothes were strewn about on every surface, and some were stuffed in a bag beside a haphazard pile of parchment and worn books.

The case of inks just would not fit in, no matter how hard she fought. It seemed she would be taking only two bottles—which was never going to be enough. She stopped her pacing, just long enough to look over every item in the small but comfortable room. Nervousness twisted her stomach and made her heart pound. She had spent the last two years thinking this over, planning and searching, and now she was leaving.

She was ready.

Mordai had not disappointed, though what he learned had not been much. Only a snippet of a name on a ship's record. Sulea Moonshadow. He had done as much digging as he could, even taking the time to speak with his less than reputable associates. She had found nothing on her own, so the mere fact that he had found a name had been like finding a platinum medallion in a sack of copper coins.

She resumed her pacing, running a hand across her face, before packing the last few items she would need. It had taken two years, not just to find a trace of Sulea, but for her to find her nerve. She had to strain to get the pack to close. She had never owned much, but it was certainly too much to fit inside one pack.

Traveling light is not nearly as appealing as it sounds, she thought. As she made for the door, she spun, remembering her worn–down wooden staff and the teardrop pendant, as they were arguably the two most important items she owned.

It was still early in the morning and the sun was just cresting the horizon, but she knew before she entered the room that Imeiza would be there. She was surprised, however, by the familiar forms of Kindra and Mordai, sitting across from the hearth with steaming cups in their hands. Mordai looked tired—like he would much rather still be asleep in his undoubtedly lavish bed—but Kindra and Imeiza were both alert enough to be their usual bubbly selves, talking with their hands as much as their words.

"It's about time," Imeiza said, giving Katerin a teasing look. "You'll be late if you keep this up."

"I know, I know." She frowned. "I just couldn't leave without my books, and I nearly forgot my staff..." She trailed off as Mordai snorted in amusement.

"You're sure you really want to do this?" he asked, looking at her with an eyebrow raised, "It's a long trip."

"She'll be fine!" Kindra interjected, sitting up so fast she nearly spilled her coffee, turning suddenly to Katerin. "She needs to get out and travel around a bit. Stop being so...shy." She said the last word like it was some kind of unspeakable sin.

Katerin shook her head. "I'm not shy. And yes, I'm sure. I really want to go." Her confidence wavered as she spoke, making her quiet voice even softer. "I will be back quicker than you think." She stood beside Imeiza and gave her a tight hug, knowing it would be the last one she could give the woman for several months.