Chapter Twenty-One: The Depths, Pt 1

The time until they faced Val'esis grew shorter.

In just a few more days they would be leaving, going into the forest once again. Katerin's worries grew, and she doted more and more on the subject each day. She had thought for sure that Sulea would come back through the town by now... where else was there to go on this continent, after all? With each passing day, Katerin found herself growing more fond of the town and the people of O'siaris. It was a simple place, a tight-knit community, and more than once in her days here, she stopped to chat with a farmer or a fisherman simply because they welcomed conversation.

Graiden joined them most nights, eating with them and sometimes even gambling with them, as he was tonight. He had kept a very positive, if still wry and stern attitude since he met Avris, though from what Katerin knew, a stable peace was blooming, and Graiden had been quite hopeful about the future of it.

Jon pulled a dice box from his pocket and shook it. "Shall we see if your lucky streak holds up?" he asked, eyeing Katerin with a challenge.

Katerin cracked her knuckles and set her drink aside, grinning.

After all the dice were gathered, everyone laid out a number of items. From coins to gems to magical trinkets. Jon laid down a shining ruby. Fykes pulled an amethyst from his coat. Arjiah offered a piece of sea glass from the Amerlyian cities. Katerin placed a small sapphire on top and they all looked to Graiden.

His face was scrunched, and he groaned as he pulled a small vial of yellow oil from his pocket. "It's not a gem, but it's worth about the same."

Brazen dropped a scattering of coins and looked to Katerin for reassurance. He truly was no good at the games, but he enjoyed playing. It was not that he did not understand the concept of the coins' value, but that he did not distinguish their individual worth, or hold any worry over losing them.

Fykes constantly gave him coins and gems to keep him playing. It seemed money was no issue for him.

Katerin held up her hand. "Before I take all your belongings," she grinned. "How about a toast? To good friends and new fortunes!"

She won the first round, as she had done quite a few times already. Everyone groaned and piled another selection of items and coins upon the table.

Arjiah won that round.

Graiden sighed, mockingly glaring at the Arjiah. "I was sure I had that one," he said.

"Me, too," Jon sighed. "The luck is with the ladies, it seems."

"If you didn't try to cheat so much you might do better, Jon," Arjiah told him.

"Come on. One more chance to have luck on your side," Katerin said, pouting at them.

Arjiah shook her head with a smile. "I'm going to keep my winnings, for now. You can win them back tomorrow."

Brazen and Fykes already had the coins in their hands, though the coins Brazen held were originally Fykes'. Jon harrumphed before obliging and reaching into his pockets again. Graiden debated for a second, then sighed as Katerin looked at him expectantly.

Katerin clapped her hands and leaned forward as she rolled the dice. This was her night not to worry about what was coming. Val'esis was dangerous, and she worried often about how they might fare facing him, but she could not change her mind now. Her mother had to be here somewhere, and she would turn over every damn rock on the whole of the Ekylid mountain range if need be, to find her.

For now, she was in a beautiful place with wonderful people, the likes of which she had never seen in the city. This strange, ragtag group of people had become her friends over the last month. Jon was an impish man. Full of lewd humor and rakish ideas. She enjoyed his enthusiasm and skewed sense of humor. His bawdy remarks and over-embellished stories.