Chapter Twenty-Four: Savior, PT 1

"Ah!" Do'vak said, "Good morning!"

Katerin opened her eyes—blinking the sleep from them—to see the man carrying a tray on one hand, almost dancing in place. Fykes stirred beside her and as she looked at him she felt her face redden.

"Coffee for the lovebirds?" Do'vak crooned, smiling ear to ear, as if he was witnessing some miracle.

Katerin could not speak, so instead she shakily took the mug from Do'vak's hand, hoping that she was dreaming. Just as she thought things could not get any worse, the curtain moved again and Arjiah came through the doorway.

Oh, of all the times to have a meeting in the morning, she thought, forcing her face into composure and stretching her arms. Fykes pulled his arm from her shoulders to take a cup from Do'vak, brushing his somehow untangled hair from his face.

"Oh!" Arjiah exclaimed, smiling. "Good morning."

"Hi," Katerin said, her voice too high pitched for this early in the morning.

"Thanks," Fykes said, gesturing with his cup. "What're you about?"

"Just waiting for you two," Arjiah said, "You're not usually such late sleepers."

Katerin burrowed her face in her cup and tried to ignore her mounting embarrassment. Stupid, stupid, stupid, she thought.

Brazen poked his head in the curtain, mouth already full, looking at them expectantly, and smiling to Katerin innocently.

Do'vak's grin never left. "There is food when you are ready," he said, then turned and swiftly left the room.

Arjiah flashed a silly, fangy grin at them before she followed him out, taking Brazen along with her.

"Morning," Katerin said, once the room had emptied.

Fykes smiled and set his cup aside. "Did you sleep well?"

"You're a comfortable pillow."

"Mhm I know."

They both took a minute to blink away the haze of their night's rest, sipping on large mugs of strong, flavored coffee. To her, the silence felt awkward, but Fykes seemed unperturbed by it all. When she stopped yawning with every word she tried to form, she combed her hair, Fykes fastened his armor, and they found the kitchen in its typical style—piled full of various foods.

Do'vak and Arjiah sat side by side, leaning over a book and talking excitedly, when Katerin and Fykes entered, Do'vak ushered them into their chairs and moved all the food, so it nearly surrounded them.

After they had eaten, Do'vak looked across at them, a wide grin seemingly permanent on his features. "So what is it you will do now?"

As he asked, they all turned to Katerin. Save for Brazen, who was still eating. He had no use for food, but at some point, Fykes had thought it a good idea for him to eat anyway. Which had now become a strange and expensive habit—harmless, but expensive.

"Uh." Her brow furrowed. "Go back to O'siaris for now, I suppose." She took another bite of food, hiding her uncertainty behind her breakfast. "Graiden might have more news about my mother."

Fykes nodded. "He might have some work for us, too," he said, mouth full. "I hear there are bounty boards around here and O'siaris."

Do'vak nodded. "Indeed! Check them before you leave. The pay is very good. You'll provide well for your children," he said, grinning widely at her.

Arjiah snickered. "That could be fun."

"I agree," Katerin said, ignoring Do'vak's words as much as she could. "The coin would be nice."