Chapter Thirty-Five: Vigilance, PT 1

Their travels to the mountaintop were grueling. It took them several days—first traveling through the quiet forest then the, muggy, insect-filled swamp, and finally into rocky mountainous terrain. They barely managed to keep their timing right.

Auglier found them in the forest, as he had promised, and he was joined by a number of the Brothers of the Mountain. They had come to help navigate, and free Drider if they could. She was one of their own, they said, and they would not leave her to her fate in Arnet's hands.

They were all quite exhausted when they finally found the place the tower would appear. Not only by the journey, but by the emotional toll--and the stress of what was coming. Fykes was still worsening, looking like he might topple over at any given moment, despite Arjiah's assurance that he was not ill in any normal sense.

The Uhma'zarhins and Fykes kept watch, while Arjiah and Katerin double-checked their research. They had the right place and the right time. Even having given themselves an extra few days, tonight was the night the tower would appear. The group was silent, apprehensive. All had their own reasons for being here. All had their own worries and fears. As they sat around a low fire, The sounds of footsteps and the scraping of armor came to them. Crushing up the rocky slopes of the mountainside. Every hand dropped for an array of weapons and faces tensed as they watched—every eye scanned the edge.

Graiden appeared, hiking up the stone with an annoyed look on his face. Behind him Juen'tal walked with his arms across his chest, looking annoyed as well. Weapon glimmering at his side.

Katerin stood to greet them, with a sigh of relief. Tension eased and almost faded completely, as Graiden's face was seen. Almost. She knew Graiden had agreed to send them some help, but she had assumed it would be Lugaria and Agrata or a few of the other men. Not Graiden himself, and certainly not the elf behind him.

She noticed that Fykes' hand wavered just above Ahlindrion's hilt as he saw Juen'tal. His mask of positivity fading the slightest bit and his weariness showing through, darkening his eyes further. The bright light and humor normally in them was so dim it was barely noticeable.

Graiden waved, before moving to speak to Arjiah.

Juen'tal stayed near the edge of the firelight, scanning across the people. His gaze lingered on Katerin a moment before sliding past her to Fykes, and changing to a predatory stare. She stepped in front of Fykes, breaking Juen'tal's line of sight and strode toward him with a smile. The last time she had seen him in O'siaris, they had gotten along quite well. Even taken care of a bounty for Graiden. He was not as selfish as she had first perceived him to be, but she still could not trust him, no matter how intriguing she found him.

His eyes narrowed, as she cut him off from glaring at Fykes.

She approached and offered her arm, he clasped it and gave her a curious look. "Good to see you."

"Graiden said he needed a hand," he said, his voice still holding that same arrogance as he shrugged.

She scoffed, raising an eyebrow. "Mhm. I don't buy that."

He smirked but said nothing.

"Did you need the coin or is it personal?" she asked, amused.

He only huffed in response.

"Well, whatever reason you showed up for, I appreciate it," she said. "Just play nice." With that, she turned and walked away, realizing he was not going to speak any further.

She approached Graiden and hugged him. He smiled at her, looking tired and almost relieved. "Interesting choice of company," she said, jerking her head towards Juen'tal.