Chapter Eighteen: Shrine of the Bloodthirsty God, PT 2

Katerin's eyes snapped open to the sound of cheering—near deafening—despite that it came from such a small crowd. She immediately looked at her stomach and found that not a thread of her shirt was harmed—the only blood on her was a small spot from her still healing hand under its thick wrap of bandages. Her breath came in short, hard bursts as the terror still gripped her. She felt tired and sore—like she had just raced against a horse for a mile—but there was no pain, no missing organs, no blood. She looked up to see that they were laying on one side of the dirt arena.

The four Uhma'zarhins stirred across the room, looking as if they had just woken from a nap. The one whose head she had split was sitting up, talking in his native tongue and smiling widely, another was making gestures at his neck, a smile filling his expression as well. Fykes, Arjiah, and Brazen were already stirring, pushing themselves up with surprised looks on their faces.

The Lady Avris stood in the middle of the room again, as if she never left, waiting for them all to find their feet. Once they had, she gestured them to her, and the men across the way joined them as well.

"Congratulations!" Avris said, her voice carrying over the whole room. She bowed her head to them. "You have just beaten our best." Her voice was quieter, but she smiled. "Ali'damia has blessed us this day."

The crowd erupted into cheers again, and the men across the arena clapped as well. One patted his neck and grinned at Brazen, his shoulders rolling back in laughter.

Brazen stood stock still, watching the man with a blank expression.

Katerin narrowed her eyes at the bowl of water, thinking it must have knocked them out. She was confused about the fight, but it was obviously something to ponder later. She had more important things to pay attention to at the moment. How in the nine hells did she trick me with magic, she wondered.

Fykes was staring at his ankle, rolling it back and forth, and fidgeting his arms, as if testing every joint. Arjiah simply brushed the dirt from herself, stood and smiled, maintaining her ever-present scholarly appearance. They were all relieved that they had not truly killed the men, and that they had not actually been injured.

"Please, come with me," Avris said quietly. "We can discuss this further." She moved toward the stairs, and her two guards detached from the wall, following silently.

When they found themselves back at the throne room, there were four chairs awaiting them as Avris sat in her throne. All except Brazen took their seats. He stood behind his chair, close to Katerin's side, with his chin high, eyes alert, and hands clasped in front of him.

Avris poured herself a goblet of water, and offered some to them, before settling back. "So where do you wish to start?"

Katerin pulled a small piece of parchment from her bag, and Fykes handed her a small piece of charcoal. Not the best writing implement, but she had no room for extra ink. The tricks of their fight were forgotten, as soon as they found the throne room once again. It mattered little what Avris had done to trick her, right now. She was alive, and if she could gain a few answers, that was all that mattered. "How do we find Vale'sis?" she asked.

"We only know where he will be, not where he is," Avris said, sitting on her throne and crossing her legs.

"Where is that?" Fykes asked.

"Our scouts have reported that every new moon he travels to a shrine of Val'esis. He takes only a small group of followers and sacrifices," Avris sipped her water, taking a breath. "He never stays long, and then he is not found again until the next new moon."

Katerin frowned, but Arjiah leaned forward and spoke up. "They don't have a village or a gathering of their people?"

Avris shook her head. "They have many, but we haven't been able to get in. They are all very well guarded."