Chapter Thirty: Reclamation and Recompense

"I wanted to talk to you," Arjiah said. She pulled another book from the bag at her side and flipped through it. "I think I found out what Byron was trying to accomplish with all that blood." She shivered and handed the book to Katerin. "It talks more about the Ihmu'tahd constructs."

Katerin studied the pages, there were drawings of constructs of enormous size. Reclaimers, they were called. They had spoken a little of them before, but this was far more detail than she had previously seen in the books Arjiah had kept. The Reclaimers ran off from the energy of life, and the book's description was a dark thing. If it was accurate, these monstrosities could wipe out entire cities in one swipe with the weapons they wielded. Katerin looked up from the book, with wide eyes. "You think he found one?"

Arjiah nodded. "I believe we were in one," she said. "Further on, it talks about how they were lived in, like a castle... just larger and... deadly..." She had fear shimmering in her eyes. "There are five of them, in total. Nothing except these books talk about them. And locations... are difficult. I believe these were written before the world split."

Katerin frowned, "Well. Whatever he was planning is gone now... did you show Graiden this?"

"Not yet," Arjiah said. "I wanted your opinion on it. My theory makes sense, but only within the bounds that these truly are more than myth."

Katerin shrugged, glancing to Brazen. "I don't see why they couldn't be real... and the blood makes sense, with your theory about Luxian... Blood is about as close to life as you can get, in terms of magical usage." She shuddered. Arjiah believed, from her brief studies, that Luxian was made partly of energy, or soul essence, if one wanted to call it that. It was life itself turned into material. "Are they really this... large?"

Arjiah nodded solemnly. "If you'd believe the writings." She held up a worn scroll. "This even speculates that they could be what caused the world to split, but it's hard to be sure. There's no record of them after the calamity."

Katerin shook her head. "Even in Typhon's histories? I would have thought that if they were responsible for the calamity, they would be better known."

Arjiah sighed. "Me, as well. But I suppose there wouldn't be a record, after." She shrugged. "I'm going to keep digging for information on them, in any case," she said as she took her book back, scratching one finned ear.

 "I'm going to keep digging for information on them, in any case," she said as she took her book back, scratching one finned ear

Katerin had spent three days lazing about the Inn. She had no desire to move much or talk much while her shoulder healed, and her thoughts strayed somewhere dark, lingering on that room and Byron's words.

On the fourth evening, as the room filled, the loud bustling laughter was almost painful to her ears. Every sudden noise made her jump, and every sudden movement had her on the edge of her seat. Her friends talked and laughed and tried their best to brighten the situation, Brazen hardly strayed from her side, and Fykes greeted her every morning. Even Graiden tried to be jovial, though his sadness was palpable.