Chapter Two: The Lounging Dove, Pt 2

Errwood Bay was a unique place. It smelled of salt, fish, and thick floral perfume. It was bordered by rocky cliffs, and the far end of the city was sitting just above the ocean. Homes were built out over the water, upon docks that stretched into the bay for a quarter mile or more. It was said that those docks and all that was built upon them could be detached from the shore and hauled out into the water, as a mechanism for defense from any wars that might threaten the city.

The people dressed and acted in an entirely different fashion than Katerin was accustomed to. No wide dresses or tight corsets. Instead, they wore brightly dyed linen. Skirts for the women, or trousers with loose blouses. The men wore baggy pants that cut off at the knees, and long vests or open shirts. That was, of course, if anyone wore a shirt at all, and it seemed a daily occurrence to see at least a dozen topless people, be they women or men.

If they were not dressed in their revealing linen, they wore very light leather garments. A very interesting type of armor that did not hinder the wearer's mobility. It was layered and sturdy enough to mute most blows, but flexible enough to let them move however they wished.

Nothing they wore was heavy or bulky.

The whole city, dock town included, reminded her of Imeiza. There were splashes of color across everything—even the buildings themselves. There was an air of unusual camaraderie here, as well. These people were sailors and merchants, and some, of course, were pirates. Katerin was wary of them all, however. Pirate and merchant, dressed to rival a king or shirtless.

The loose clothing they all wore allowed ample space to hide weapons of all types—as she had witnessed in a few street brawls already. They all behaved as if every man on the street was one of two things, either their closest friend or their worst enemy, and those could change after a drink or two.

She did enjoy people watching in Errwood bay, and had been enjoying her stay despite her nervousness. The port town had dozens of interesting things to offer, including a spiced rum that she found enjoyable. It took the edge off her worries of being robbed or bludgeoned to death on the street.

Today, instead of wandering the streets like a lost puppy, her strides had a purpose, as she wound through packed streets with dozens of voices calling out wares and trying to attract her attention. She had finally found a ship that would cross the currents, one already bound for the untamed wilds of Itrea.

The magical stretch of waters that kept many ships from ever returning to shore was never taken lightly. Crossing the currents was a journey with an ever-present danger, thus the reason that only the places that could be reached without fear of the currents were settled. The year of 865 P.C. had been groundbreaking, and was still widely discussed among the scholarly and the sailors. In that year, the Igos current had shifted, allowing the once impassable stretch of water to be crossed, if you had the nerve. This resulted in quite a few people attempting to sail across. Most attempts were failures, but now there was rumored to be a tiny settlement turned port town. While not many cared about it or even knew what Itrea was, those who did called it the "Untamed Land." The stories of its harsh wilderness were unmatched, or so the tavern keeper had said.

She knew she had been lucky to find another ship leaving this late in the season. Most had already departed, as the journey was long and wholly unpleasant. Most ships that traveled across the currents were small and did not carry much cargo, supposedly so they could maneuver through the currents with ease.

The Lounging Dove, the ship she was searching for, was no small vessel. It was not quick, and it was by no means cheap, but it had quite the high reputation here. In all probability, crossing the currents was a more dangerous journey for a frigate. It would not have any kind of ease across the currents, but it was the only option she had. Thoughts of all the terrifying stories of sailing to Itrea she had heard from too many drunken sailors swirled through her mind, making her heart pick up pace.