Chapter Four: Forest of the Lifeless Men

Katerin arrived at the keep gate at what she thought was bright and early—though the already awake and alert people around her proved otherwise. The gate was open, and carts of stone and other materials were being hauled from it to somewhere else in the town. The guards halted her only for a second, and after recognizing her, they let her pass without any questions.

She had made sure to buy any provisions she might need the day before, and had even kept the storybook Mary had given her. If anything, it could be useful to keep a fire alive, she supposed.

As she walked into Graiden's strange office, he waved her over and nodded to Lugaria, gesturing with his chin down the hall.

Lugaria detached himself from the wall with his arms crossed, and disappeared down the hall. His stride was full of confidence and lethality, and she realized she had never before felt threatened simply by how a person walked.

"Morning," she said. She gestured to where Lugaria had disappeared. "I take it he's why you don't have any other guards?" She was trying to will the hairs on the back of her neck to relax. Something about that man was intimidating to a degree she had never experienced before.

Graiden smiled. "He makes sure there is never any trouble in here." He gestured to the desk, his smile fading as his too–serious countenance returned. "These are yours." His face became something akin to caring for a moment. "They might help you stay alive long enough to get there and back."

The way he said the words dropped her heart into her stomach, so she poured her focus to the items on his desk. There was a teal and black cloak that matched the ones the members of Sahn-Raidar wore, a simple wooden wand, and two small vials filled with a rose-colored bubbly liquid.

As she looked at the items, she felt the magic that was weaved into them. She turned an incredulous stare to Graiden, "These are enchanted."

He shrugged, as if it was obvious. "It's standard outfit for our mages."

She gawked for a moment, not sure what to say to the stern, stone-faced man. She had thought Sahn-Raidar was just a small independent militia force, certainty nothing large enough to have access to enchanted standard arms. "Thank...thank you," she stuttered. "How much?"

"Just take them. Consider them part of our deal." His smile showed a bit of humor in his dark but insightful eyes. "But, should you feel the need, there is a donation box near the door. Open all hours, day or night."

She caught his meaning immediately and failed to hold back her snort of laughter at his shameless display. She strode over to the small collections box and dropped several gold coins inside, doing her best to estimate the cost of the items.

As she turned, she heard the sound of footsteps down the hall. It was Lugaria, leading a lazily sauntering man with lavender shoulder-length hair and deep, sparkling violet eyes to match. Her first thought was that his hair was colored. She knew many mages who had made enchantments for just that purpose, but it did not look fake, and if it was, his eyes would not have matched. The cloak he wore was even more confusing than his hair, as it looked better suited as a blanket. Maybe it had been once, she thought.

She looked at Graiden with wide eyes. This can't be my escort, she thought, does he want me to die on the roadside?

Lugaria took up his usual position of leaning against the wall, but Katerin was too distracted to care if he stabbed her, for the moment. Fykes regarded her with amusement written all across his face, and she knew she was looking at him like he was a buffoon but she had no idea what else to do.

"Fykes," Graiden said, as he looked to Katerin and smiled. "This is Katerin."

Fykes turned and bowed to her, watching her expression as he did.