Chapter Thirty-Six: Imprisoned

Fykes had expected demons, beasts, and even undead. It was something he had assumed would be in their path, but this was wrong. This being was none of those things—in fact, it was something he never believed he would see in his life. A large form crushed forward from the wall. Torn and bloodied wings were folded close to its back, tinted pink and crusted with dried blood.

It had golden skin as fine as porcelain, which showed a hundred cuts and bruises. Long, fine hair flew wild around its face and down its back, a color so pure it almost glowed. His chest was bare and scared, and only a thick length of white cloth covered his hips, showing a body that was beaten, yet inherently beautiful. His facial features were strong and chiseled. Eyes deep, glowing pits of emotion that could not be comprehended. Around his head was a blackened metal band with spikes protruding from it. It sat atop his head like a twisted crown, blood dripping from its edges.

Thick shackles bound his wrists—though not enough to keep them from moving—and blood dripped from them, as well.

The angelic being howled in anger and pain, and the sound made Fykes' head spin.

Juen'tal and Brazen had weapons in hand in a second, and Arjiah held hers nervously. Staring wide-eyed at the being in front of them. Graiden did not move, frozen and staring, anger plastering his features, as he saw the chains that bound it. Katerin looked just as shocked as Fykes was, one arm halfway held out, her brow furrowed.

Fykes stepped toward the being, keeping his thoughts and demeanor as calm as he could.

Juen'tal lunged and laid a deep cut into its arm. It turned in an instant and swung its fist down.

In its hands appeared a large, glowing blade, that sent Juen'tal diving away snarling. "You will die!" the angel screamed. Its voice was so inhuman that it hurt to hear, and yet so beautiful you never wanted it to stop speaking. Blood pooled from the corners of its eyes. A crimson and swirling black glow emanated from them.

"Wait!" Fykes called, glaring at Juen'tal. "Please. Let me help you," he pleaded, in the language of the angels.

"You did this to me!" It spoke in the common tongue, swung its sword out again and threw Fykes across the room before anyone could react. "Twice I shall revisit the wrongs done unto me unto you, and may they tear your soul apart!"

The next swing cut Juen'tal across the leg, searing the wound, and the final swing cut into Graiden's shoulder as he backpedaled away.

*

Graiden gritted his teeth. "Fykes, whatever you're trying to do, you're running out of time." He held his weapon tight, keeping a defensive stance.

*

Juen'tal snarled and moved to attack again.

Katerin stepped in front of the elf and held up a hand that hit him square in the chest. "Don't!" she commanded. Red glowing eyes snapped to her, and she straightened her shoulders, unmoving under Juen'tal's stare.

*

Fykes stepped toward the being again, speaking in his regular tongue. "Please. Let us help you. We can get you out of here."

"Lie!" it screamed, its voice shaking the stone itself. Its eyes were black pits, terrifyingly striking against his golden skin. It slashed out again, and Juen'tal jerked Katerin aside. Still, the blade cut across her back like holy fire, and she cried out.

"It wasn't me. Nor them." Fykes' eyes held a pleading sadness as they darted with anguish towards Katerin. "We can help you."

*