Chapter Three: Second in Command, Pt 2

Byron left the manor, still annoyed with Holter's attitude. The man was so arrogant to think he could improve on their plans, after the years of hard work and thought he had invested. He almost regretted bringing Holter into this, but it was a calculated decision, and it had paid off so far. It made everything much easier as far as paperwork and public appearance went, though the man was beginning to get on his nerves. It had been over two years since the mining had begun. Allowing Holter knowledge of their plan had kept the dwarves ignorant and complacent, for now—but it would never last. Because the dwarves were no idiots—and when they realized the scam, they would be angry.

Anger was an interesting emotion, one as easy to use as pain was. Byron made a decision as he walked through the closed mine entrance. He would have to ensure that Holter was not the one to alert the dwarves of any of their lies. He did not care that the dwarves would learn of it. But he did care when, and he was too close now to let one man's arrogance ruin his work.

He had already memorized the winding tunnels that would lead him to the Reclaimer. He walked for a few miles, enjoying the silence and using it to calm his temper. By the time he found his way into the natural tunnels past the mine, his anger had faded back to its usual simmering.

 By the time he found his way into the natural tunnels past the mine, his anger had faded back to its usual simmering

Arnet had been waiting, but only for a little while. He could easily teleport himself anywhere he chose in these tunnels, and that had made summoning and placing his pets so much easier. He leaned over the edge of the chasm, with carefree indifference to the dangers below.

It was deep, with rocks jutting out along it the entire way. A fall that could kill nearly anyone should they trip, or be pushed over the edge. The climbing gear the dwarves had left was now well hidden under some loose rubble, to make any who wished to follow them think twice. He had even shaped some of the stone into much sharper points—out of boredom. Thinking of the way someone could cut themselves to pieces made him shiver.

He sensed—more than heard Byron's approach. The tangible aura of power was a comforting brush against Arnet's senses. The goddess was around Byron at all times, her power radiating from him. He turned with a graceful flourish of his robes. "Finally here, I see. I was getting bored." His feathery voice was on the edge of mocking.

"I'm sure you found something to entertain yourself," Byron said, his deep voice echoing around the stone. "Why meet here?"

"Because," Arnet said as though it was obvious. "This chasm is so useful with the right pets in the right places."

"And are they?"

"Of course." Arnet smiled and whispered his spell, watching as two large creatures rose from the stone and mud beneath him. They lumbered forward, flanking either side of him like a pair of guards.

"Big... but stupid," Byron commented.

Arnet laughed. "You doubt me, now?" He offered a pouting frown, his eyes glinting. "They are smart enough."