Chapter 31

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Confrontation, confrontation. Confrontation, confrontation. Confrontation, confrontation. Confrontation, confrontation." – Mary J. Blige

There was a shift in the room.

The air was humid and heavy.

I felt like--- my lungs were going to explode from all the pressure.

My heart was thumping loudly.

My head was throbbing.

If I didn't know any better, I would think I was having a heart attack.

Is it possible to have this much bad luck?

I tugged the bottom of the shirt I was wearing, making sure I was still covered as much as possible. Where the hell are my clothes?

"I don't like this, Maisie. I don't think talking to your dad would be enough."

"I don't like this anymore than you do but I have to go. I'll be fine, Levi" I assured him.

There is a chance taking a trip to Dallas might be a waste of time but at this point it's the only hope I got. It might be another false lead or my dad just might not want to talk about it.

I have to try.

"I could find a way to come along with you." Concern swept over him. "I could find someone to make me a fake passport."

"I got this, Levi. No need for a babysitter." I was perfectly capable of getting myself on a plane safely and off. I don't need him to commit a crime just to accompany me to Dallas. "I'll be just fine."

"I can't let you go," Levi fussed, shaking his head.

Oh please!

"You can let me go during fake death but you can't let me go, now?" Okay that probably doesn't make much sense, but it made sense in my head.

"Your dad is a psychopath, Maisie. Of course I don't want you to go alone. He has a fuckin' kill list."

"Just stop!" I snapped, waving my hand in the air. "I'm going."

My name is not on the kill list so why should I be concerned?

He hasn't tried to hurt me before either so it's safe to say I'll come back unscathed.

His voice grew desperate, "Could you ask Imogen to go with you?"