Grieving (Chapter 19)

Alex's P.O.V.

"And you're sure she's alive?" Ben asks, making me look up quickly, as I had been waiting for almost thirty minutes with Evelyn for him to return.

"Who's alive?" Evelyn asks, voicing my thoughts.

"We're not sure, but we think it might be the passenger, Skye was it?" The officer leading Ben out of the room says.

"Skye- what? But she-... can I see her?!" I ask the officer frantically, needing to know if she really is alive.

"Are you sure you want to?" He inquires, glancing towards me before putting his hand on the door in front of us.

"Of course I'm sure!" I exclaim, pushing towards the door. "She's one of my best friends!"

I race through the door, only pausing for a second so the officer could tell me which direction to go.

"Skye...?" I call out as I get closer to where the officer was directing me.

"Alex..." a voice calls out to me, and I stiffen up, freezing at the sound of it.

"Raven," I hiss out, through clenched teeth. "So it's you that's alive."

She looks pretty badly hurt, obviously, since she was in a gruesome car crash.

Her face had scratches and burns all along it, her hair was a matted mess, and almost every inch of her was bruised.

I didn't care.

It should have been her, not Skye.

"Alex? Is it her?" I hear Evelyn ask, finally catching up to me, as I had run ahead of everyone before.

"It's Raven," I say, feeling the hatred build up inside me. "Skye didn't survive, but this- this coward that kidnaps people for fun, is still alive!"

"So Raven is her name," the officer cuts in, ignoring my spout of yelling. "They were working on identifying the deceased individual, but hadn't completed the process yet, so I'm sure they'll appreciate this piece of information. This woman in front of us is the one that kidnapped the other girl and... Brad, right?"

"Brad?" I ask, wondering who he could be talking about.

"You know," he says, pointing towards where Ben was standing, as he had entered the room finally. "Your- I thought he was your friend?"

"My name is Ben," Ben tells the officer, seeming annoyed.

"Ah, quiznak, my bad," the officer says, as what I assume is an apology, before looking towards where Raven was sitting.

"What? Quiz... you know what I'm not even going to ask," Ben says, seeming even more annoyed.

"Yes... well my deepest condolences for the loss of your friend, but I'm afraid you're going to have to leave now," the officer tells us, smiling slightly and ushering is out of the door to where Raven was, and then out the front door. "Since you all are minors, and not directly related to the person who died, we will handle all of the legal stuff, seeming as her parents aren't in the picture..."