3 Utter Defeat

"It's a Grey Demon."

I scoffed. "I wonder why they named it that."

"There's a small point on their chest, kind of where our heart would be." Toto pointed to a small, shining black dot in the demon's chest. "You need to break that point and it should die."

"Uhm okay. I can do this. I can totally do this." I was hyping myself up as I ran towards the demon, manipulating the earth to bring me closer, faster.

"Watch out for the-"

I was slammed to the side by the demon's hand, rolling across the ground in a daze. I felt blood trickle down my nose and I backtracked.

"Okay I can't do this I lied!" I screeched when the demon's foot was about to squash me. In seconds, I was standing up in a location a few meters away. "What the?"

"Man I wasn't supposed to teleport you but that was a last resort. That's the last time I'm ever doing that for you." Toto was breathing heavily. "You're on your own now. I gotta rest."

I wanted to strangle Toto but that Grey Demon was coming for me and I bolted around and around. I felt as light as a feather! And then I bumped and crashed into the commander who was standing their like a stupid garden gnome.

"Get out of my way you idiot!"

"Yo- What are you trying to do? That's a high level demon and we need armies to kill it!"

"Then go get your stupid army and kill it!" I yelled back, successfully completing a tumble across the ground. "Oh wait, they've all run away like cowards!"

"I hope you die killing this thing. I'm outta here!" The commander yelled and dashed towards the forest.

I sighed. I guess I'm on my own now.

I looked around for some kind of weapon, finding a stick lying on the ground next to me.

"Okay this'll have to do."

I held the stick in my hands, testing its strength and it snapped.

"Oh shit okay." I fumbled around with the two halves, trying to imbed some magic in it to make it stronger and more durable. An invisible force pulled the stick back together and I tapped it on the ground. It worked!

My victory was short lived as the demon came barrelling at me, crushing some houses along the way.

"Pick on someone your own size!" I cried out, grabbing onto its leg and holding on for dear life.

The demon stopped moving at that point and I slowly inched my way up its leg like a caterpillar. I yelped as I slid down but luckily, I found a crevice to hold on to.

"Okay what if I..."

I concentrated wind below my body to lift me higher in the air, slowly floating towards the circular crystal embedded in the Grey Demon's chest.

"Aha! Gotcha!" I smirked as I stabbed the stick in the crystal, watching as it cracked and shone. "Mwahahaha!"

The demon cried out with a menacing roar before falling onto the ground, dissipating into ashes. The black crystal landed with a quiet click on the ground.

"Serves you right!" I yelled victoriously as the villagers appeared from nowhere. "Hey old man!"

I called out to the old man who let me on his carriage earlier.

"Wh-Who are you? What are you?" He looked frightened.

"I'm Susano Mikoto." I saluted with a grin on my face.

"Who?"

"Oh I was the one on your carriage."

The look of recognition appeared on his face before he bowed before me.

"Thank you for saving us. You have our gratitude."

The rest of the villagers followed suit and I rubbed my neck.

"Um, okay? You don't need to bow old man."

"How can we repay you? W-We don't have much but whatever you ask for, we will try our best to give to you."

"Well first, a name would be nice to know." I shrugged as the man straightened himself up.

"I'm the village chief, Buka and this is my granddaughter, Errya." A small girl stepped forward, clutching onto a ragged teddy bear.

The villagers were all looking at me suspiciously and I gulped. What's wrong with them?

"Do you mind if we talk privately...?" I suggested and Buka nodded, leading me into a house. Once safely inside, I began questioning him and all Buka could do was sigh.

"Before we were under the Tierra Kingdom, it was very peaceful here. We didn't need to worry about taxes and all that but once they took over, all they wanted was money. But we're a small village and we don't get many visitors here so it's hard to pay anything at all. The king was kind enough to change the taxes to agricultural items but we've been having a hard time dealing with everything and the demons keep destroying our crops."

"How much do they charge? It can't be that bad, can it?"

"We usually only make about three gold a year. Give or take a few if the season is especially good but the kingdom charges thirty gold and we can't afford that every year. So we give half our crops but lately it hasn't been raining so we've given up our horses. My two horses are one of the only ones left in this place." Buka sighed, taking a seat on an old, rickety chair. It looked like it was going to break any second.

I sucked in a breath as I searched through the bottomless bag that Toto had kindly given me.

"Well, is this enough?" I took out a pouch and threw a bunch of golden coins on the table.

Buka's eyes widened as he stared at all the gold.

"Th-This! How did you get all this?" He picked up a piece and inspected it carefully.

"Eh, I have my ways." I shrugged, sliding a few more across the table. "So in exchange, I would like some information."

Buka nodded happily as I placed the pouch back in my bag.