24 Not So Simple

The lion fought furiously against the glass vines to no avail and fell still a few moments later, almost as if its soul had left it.

I mean, I saw some kinda spirit flying out of it.

Or I could have been imagining things.

"I-Is it gone?" Nymphaea peeked over my shoulder and pushed me off when he found that it had died.

"Well that was fun." I shrugged, dusting myself off as I stood up. "So what's next?"

I looked around, having no clue where we were. Our footsteps had disappeared mysteriously and the lion that had just died seemingly melted into nothing.

I took in a deep breath, focusing on the surrounding area, searching for any type of life form. My eyes closed as I took slow steps in the direction of a pulsing aura, also trying to make sure that I could hear Nymphaea behind me.

"Susano wai-" Nymphaea called out but it was too late.

Whack!

My dumb ass walked right into a tree.

I blinked a few times, rubbing my forehead before inwardly berating myself for being an idiot.

Maybe open your eyes next time, idiot.

"So uhm, any clue what the icicles were earlier?" I asked and Nymphaea looked at me oddly.

"That . . . wasn't you?"

"No. . . I was thinking of a spear or something not vines."

A sudden pressure weighed down on my shoulders, causing me to freeze on the spot. I was still able to stand but Nymphaea had slumped to the ground, shivering uncontrollably.

"Nym?" I stepped closer and he hugged himself, not responding to me. "Hey Nym, it's okay. Come on, it's okay."

Nymphaea tried to open his mouth to speak but he was shaking so badly that all he could do was whimper.

The presence of a life form nearby cause me to go on high alert as I lifted Nymphaea into my arms.

"Come on little Nymph, you'll be okay." I summoned miniscule flames to cover Nymphaea's body to try and warm him up as he continued to shake in my arms.

Whoever this bloody demon was had better get out of hiding before it annoyed me.

I had held Nymphaea in my arms and continued to walk blindly through the woods to try and find that sign of life that appeared earlier. It had somehow disappeared for the past hour of me tracing it and I was thinking of just burning the whole damn forest.

But I didn't know what would happen to the blue flame or what was up with the curse that had a possibility of being inflicted on the people.

A spike of murderous aura suddenly appeared, shooting towards the direction I was standing in and I turned to face the fast approaching enemy.

"Ah, so it was you. You hid yourself very well didn't you mayor?"

Leroy, the mayor, appeared quite. . . different.

His white hair was slicked back and his eyes were shining a dark grey. An almost ethereal purple glow emanated from him as he stalked closer and closer to where I was standing with Nymphaea.

"Was all that talk about a curse just bullshit?"

I had to know.

'Cause if it was, he was a shitty liar.

"Not exactly."

"So what brings the mayor out here on a cold winter day? Or is it night? This forest is weird, I can't really tell anymore."

Leroy stared at me blankly for a while before lifting an arm up into the air, a purple light following his movements.

His hand pointed towards my location and a faint light began pulsing at his palm.

"If you're trying to do what I think you're about to do Leroy, I suggest you don't do it. Ah, but they never listen, do they?"

The light shot out at an insane speed and I burst to the side, the attack just barely grazing my arm.

"I'm going to put you down Nym. Don't move."

Eh, well I don't know if he even can right now.

Was he even conscious?

I'll find out after I deal with Leroy.