11 The Deserted Land

The Deserted Land was supposedly a desolate desert with dastardly degrees of dryness and isolation. I had held onto Nymphaea tightly as we flew above the tree tops to try and find this so called Deserted Land though we weren't getting any closer. It had been a little under a week since we left my village and all that Nymphaea and I had been doing was flying.

All this time, there was no sign of the Elven Queen's Felix Bird. There was not even a single bird in sight as we flew closer to the North, closer to the demons entry into the world of Eredea. Toto had said that the Deserted Land was somewhere near here and I could see why people would run for their lives.

Just a few days ago, Nymphaea and I had run into a small horde of demons though Nymphaea had said that they were low level and weaker than the Grey Demon that I defeated before.

They were pillaging an abandoned village but for what, I don't know. What would demons possibly want that humans had? Why were demons invading Eredea in the first place?

Nobody seemed to know, not even Toto who had answers to every other question that I had.

As the days grew warmer and nights grew colder, I had a feeling that we were nearing the Deserted Land. Still, there was no sign of wildlife nor were there any humans. Adventurers also seemed to stay away from this part of the world.

But this place seemed like a hidden beauty, like a diamond among gems. It was more silent than not and it was just beautiful. Though there was always the looming danger of demons (of which the sightings became more frequent as we moved closer to the North), there was little chance for artifice and cunningness with the lack of humans.

I think that's what made it all the more wonderful.

"Da- Susano, do you think we're almost there?" Nymphaea had looked up at me through his long lashes with the most innocent face.

It made me want to ravish him though that would be impossible since I was trying to maintain my magic flow to continue flying.

"We should be. Weather is changing and everything so I think we're close."

I pulled Nymphaea closer to me as night fell because he was shivering with his thin coat on. I shrugged my own jacket off and draped it over his shoulders. Using all this magic was making me really warm for some reason.

"Thank you." Nymphaea murmured as he snuggled into my side.

"You're welcome." I pat his head softly, lulling him to sleep. Meanwhile, I had to stay on high alert.

Demons would roam this area and I had felt a cold sensation wash through my body earlier, sensing a very powerful demon within the vicinity. After a few hours of silence, who knows what kind of dangers could suddenly appear.

The night was clear and the stars shone brightly, no light pollution to block their beauty. Earth was never like this. So clean. So untainted. I smiled a little as I thought of my life back on Earth. It might not have been the greatest but it was bearable...and it was stable.

The air I was controlling shook suddenly and I was drawn back to reality, trying to stabilise the flow of magic. Did I do something wrong? 

I looked around us seeing nothing different in the scenery but small, almost invisible flows of magic were floating through the air. It didn't look like mine at all. My magic flow was on the golden side but this... This was a dark purple that was slowly disappearing. What was it? 

Hours flew by as we landed in a desert terrain. It matched the title of The Deserted Land but it got me thinking. Why would fairies choose to live here?

"Hey Nymphaea, wake up, we're here...I think."

Nymphaea grumbled a  little before waking up with the sun blaring down on him. His skin soon turned a bright pink from the heat and I quickly wrapped the jacket over his head.

"It's so hot." Nymphaea moaned, wanting to tug off the jacket but I stopped him.

"You're going to burn."

"Why aren't you burning?" 

That was a question that I didn't have an answer to. What was I supposed to say? It was in my DNA to not get burnt to a crisp?

"Do you know how to get there Nym?" We had been walking for a while to stretch our legs and I could feel the sweat running down my neck. Man, I didn't know it would be this hot.

"I've only heard stories about how to find the Fairy Kingdom. It's kind of like the Elves' one but...we're in a desert. I don't think that the fairies would place a forest in here."

I scoffed. "What idiot would do that? They'd stick out like a sore thumb."

"Umm..." Nymphaea went silent after that which made me look up.

"You can't be serious."

-

Hey guys, so if you didn't realise, this update came after a few days (longer than the usual update times). I was going to update every second day or so and it was going strong for the first few chapters BUT THEN a lot of things happened in school (nothing bad, I just got super busy because I graduated!!!)

And I don't know why but every time I tell myself to sit down and just type something (which is what I normally do), nothing has been popping into my head. Usually, I would be able to type something up even if it was just a draft of some sort but these days, I can't seem to get anything out of my head. It's not really writer's block because I do have an idea of what will happen next, I just can't formulate my thoughts into proper sentences to move the story along.

Nevertheless I shall try what I can because, when my brain was working, I wrote a few chapters ahead of what I had already posted so I'm set for another two chapters...maybe! 😱