23 Low Level

"What is that?" Nymphaea looked over at me, fear carved into his features. "Are we going to die?"

"Probably." I shrugged nonchalantly, watching his features morph into anger.

"You're supposed to say no!"

"Hey I'm not going to sugarcoat this shit. I'm scared too." I scowled and carefully stepped further into the forest.

It seemed like a different world in here, almost as if everything was frozen in time. Outside the barrier of trees, it was snowing and the wind was harsh and unkempt. But within these walls of trees, I swear there was some kind of magic in play.

There was just no way that ball of snow was falling so slowly and softly.

A deep rumble made me jerk my head towards its direction and Nymphaea did the same.

"It's not like a lion or anything right?"

"Nymphaea, have you ever seen a lion in the snow?"

"Yeah . . ."

I stayed quiet, pondering for a moment. Was Eredea really that different to Earth? No way, right?

A golden fur coat rushed past in a blur and before I could even register what happened, it was gone.

Okay, I've gone absolutely insane in the membrane. I need to get my brain fixed or something.

"Told you." Nymphaea remarked.

"Someone's a bit sassy today." I folded my arms across my chest. "Something you tryna say, Nymphaea?"

"No." He hmphed and looked away. "Just stop being such a prick all the time!"

I thought you didn't have anything you wanted to say. . .

I rolled my eyes, continuing the trek into the Frozen Woods. That pressured feeling returned every now and again, making me slow down and become more cautious of our surroundings.

A small green figure zoomed at my face making me duck quickly. Spinning around, I came face to face with an almost flattened Toto.

"Hah, that's what you get!" I teased, plucking Toto from the tree.

"I was only trying to land, you big meanie!" Toto huffed, sneering at me." I guess you don't need my help or anything then."

"Wa-Wait!" I grabbed Toto in my palm.

Lightly, of course.

"You're the best Toto. You're so awesome and- and green. It's such a nice shade of green hehe." I gave a sheepish smile and Toto slapped my fingers to make me let go.

"Well since you're being so nice, Susano. . . I guess I could help you." Toto flew over to Nymphaea and took a seat on his head.

I guess I know who the favourite is now. Let's include another eye roll here of course.

"So there's a low level demon lurking around somewhere but it shouldn't be anything to worry about." Toto smiled, playing with Nymphaea's hair. "I mean, you defeated that Grey Demon before, remember? This one is supposed to be much weaker so you'll be fine."

"I'll be fine." I mimcked, turning around to walk into the woods.

Or maybe it was the other way . . .

"That-a-way." Toto pointed to the right and I nodded in thanks.

I heard nothing but my own footsteps for a solid minute before a quiet "wait for me!" was shouted and an out-of-breath Nymphaea appeared.

"Took you long enough, little Nym." I ruffled his hair and he gave me a little pout. "Toto disappear to wherever he goes?"

Nymphaea nodded and we continued our walk with only the crunch of the snow beneath our boots slicing through the silence.

-

The sun had set long ago before a small, almost inaudible rumbling was heard, making Nymphaea and I freeze.

It was either the lion from earlier or . . .

My stomach.

Hopefully it's the lion.

Nymphaea and I stood back to back, surveying our surroundings with, what one might call, intense concentration.

Well, not really. I was kind of hungry so I was only sort of concentrating.

You can't blame me for that. When hunger strikes, it goes for the kill.

Just like this stupid golden lion that's running right at me!

Shit!

"Nym, dodge!" I yelled before grabbing his arm and roughly pushing him below me.

We landed in the snow as the lion leapt over our bodies, scratching me just the slightest.

I mean, it wasn't too bad. . . I think.

"Ar-Are you okay?!" Nymphaea was alarmed and yelped again as the lion came back for round two.

I closed my eyes and imagined an ice wall surrounding us and a satisfying thud was heard as the animal ran right into it.

Haha, sucker!

When I opened my eyes again, the wall surrounding us was almost like glass, barely visible. It was oddly thin for something so durable against a speedy monster.

Or not.

The lion began scratching the ice like a madman and I could almost feel the wall becoming thinner and thinner until I finally heard the tell-tale click of breaking ice.

God damn it!

Oh wait, I am God.

I damn you, lion!

Yeah and nothing happened to the stupid lion.

The bloody animal roared when the ice shattered and fell like crystals, launching itself right at us with its jaw wide open.

I'm not tasty, I swear!

I clenched my eyes shut, trying to conjure up a spear striking the lion. I grit my teeth together when I felt no magic rush through me, waiting for the impact which of course, never came.

I'm still alive bitches.

When I took the chance to peer over my shoulder, the lion was suspended in midair with glass like vines attached to it.

And it was really freaking close.

"That was you right, Susano?"

"I-I, maybe?"

I thought I was trying to make a spear. . .

-

Hello everybody 😊
This update took FOREVER to come out but it's finally here, hehe.
I think I just have a case of writers block AND boredom and when those two are together . . . I get annoyed . . . Cause I can't think of what to write HAHA. I dunno how that works, but that's kind of what's been happening in my little brain.

What about all of you? 😊