Chapter 2: Expose It To Me

I carried Copeland in my weak arms as I walked through the front door to be met with a familiar surrounding.

Vic's house. I had been here many times before but it never felt how it does right now- it feels like I'm finally home. "Here, let me take her and put her to bed."

"No, it's okay. I can do it, I have no choice." Vic placed his hand on my shoulder, locking eyes with me.

"Okay, but we're going to talk about this later." I smiled sadly and headed to the spare bedroom where Vic had already set up a cot before we arrived here.

I gently laid her down stroking her soft baby hair as I pulled the orange knitted blanket up to her chin. "Goodnight sweetheart, daddy loves you." I kissed her forehead before dimming the lights and walking out, slightly closing the door just enough for me to be able to hear if she wakes up.

"Go take a bath and warm up." I heard Vic say from the kitchen. I did as he said and headed to the bathroom, turning the tap on as I undressed down to my boxers.

I swirled my hand around making sure it was hot enough before I added some cold water. Once I thought that the temperature was right I turned of the tap as I hopped in, relaxing in the warm water.

The door opened and Vic walked in. He sat on the floor and looked up at me with sympathy written on his face. "Talk to me," he said calmly.

"There's nothing to talk about. Everything's fine."

He looked at me and I just couldn't bring myself to look back, I was too ashamed of myself. "Look, I know that you don't want to talk about because it would feel like you've lost this battle, but trust me when I say she hasn't won the war."

"Really?"

"Yes. I know you feel defeated, hurt, like an outcast but she can't hurt you anymore, I promise. Tell me, Kellin," his voice changed from sympathetic to comforting.

"She hurt me, and she couldn't seem to stop." I held the tears back as best I could.

"How?"

"She beat me, cheated on me and told me that no one would ever love me." That was it; the tears fell down my cheeks like a river of memories. Vic stood up and pulled me in for a hug. I accepted the intrusion and hugged him back feeling somewhat safe.

Vic pulled back before saying, "how about we wash your hair." I smiled at the idea and nodded. He grabbed a plastic cup, putting it into the water before pouring it gently on my hair, repeating the process over and over again.

Once my hair was wet enough, he grabbed a bottle of shampoo and another for conditioner. Vic squirted a small amount of the shampoo into the palm of his hand as he massages it into my hair.

Soon he picked up the cup again and soaked my hair making sure to get all of the moisture out. He then added conditioner to the ends of my hair to give them a shining effect as he rinsed it out.

"Thank you."

"Anytime." He replied handing me a towel to wrap around my waist and another that he placed on my shoulders. Vic gave me a pair of plain blue pajama bottoms and a white night shirt to match, I dried myself off as I changed into the clothes.

I walked into the living room and sat down in the couch, my whole body sinking into the softness. "Here." Vic handed me a cup of hot chocolate to warm me up, I sat there sipping the hot substance. Luckily there was a duvet on the other side of the sofa, Vic leaned over and pulled it over me before he sat next to me.

"What do you want to watch?" He asked me as I shifted in my seat to cuddle into his body.

"Titanic." I whispered looking up into his gorgeous brown eyes.

"Titanic it is." He pressed play on Netflix and we started watching the film. My head resting against his shoulder the whole time.

We sat like this for 20 minuets before I fell asleep on his shoulder, lightly whimpering every time he would move. I felt Vic pull the blanket up to my shoulder as he placed his head on mine, stroking my soft freshly washed hair.

He smelt so good, I loved that. It wasn't long before all three of us were fast asleep, but the only thing I could think of was the night before.

*

I felt someone shift next to me but I just ignored it and cuddled into the warmth beside me. "Hey Kells," Vic whispered lightly shaking me awake.

I tiredly open my eyes rubbing them with the back of my palm. "W-what. Where am I am?" My heart started rapidly increasing as I couldn't get a sense of my surroundings.

"It's okay Kells. It's me, Vic." My eyes met his brown ones as I realized that I was safe. "You seem really twitchy today. Are you feeling alright?" He asked.

"Yeah, just a little light headed." I say truthfully.

"Oh, ok 'cause I was wondering if you wanted to take Copeland out." I smiled at the thought. Vic has literally opened up his house for us to live in, can I ask for a better best friend?

"Where was you thinking?" I question still slightly tired.

"I was thinking about zoo."

"That's a great idea, she'll love it. Thank you." I pulled Vic in for a hug he accepted the intrusion and pulled me into his embrace.

"Come on we better start getting ready if we want to get there early. I'm going to make breakfast, do you want anything?"

"Just a tea please." Came my voice laced with happiness. I stand up off the sofa, walking over to my phone that sat on Vic desk alongside a notebook, pen and keys.

Vic walked in with a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea. He placed the cereal on his desk before handing me the cup. I thank him as I take it in my hands. Vic sat on the sofa beside me, "When was the last time you ate?" His voice filled with concern.

I looked away feeling ashamed. "Three days." My gaze stayed on my lap as I felt Vic's eyes on me.

"You need to eat Kells."

"I'm not hungry." I argue back.

"Why three days?" He asked pained.

Tears filled my eyes, but I forced the back. "It's a long story. And besides it's not worth it."

"Kellin, please just tell me."

"Katelynne, she barely let me eat anything. The only time I did was when Copeland hadn't finished her food, that's only when I got to." I admit my voice cracking.

"Here." Vic states grabbing the bowl and pushing it towards me. I refused. I can't eat his food, it just doesn't feel right.

"Please," he whines.

"Fine." I grab the bowl from him and play with the spoon before taking a small bite out of it. It feels like my tastebuds are in heaven.

"When you've finished just leave it on the desk and pick out anything from the wardrobe that you want." Vic explains as he kisses my forehead.

I thank him as he leaves the room. Seconds later I hear the microwave beeping. Then I hear it open and close followed by footprints back into the room.

Vic then places Copeland's bottle on the desk, sitting next to me again. "You don't have to do all this, y'know."

"I want to." I smile as he places a lock of my hair behind my ear before whispering.

"I'll never let her hurt you, I promise."