Chapter 6: "Wake Up"

I lay awake reminiscing over what Vic had said yesterday. Lately, I haven't been able to sleep properly, neither has Vic to be fair.

"Vic." I whisper shaking him softly. He responds by rolling over on his over side facing away from me. "Hey wake up." I repeat, only this time louder.

Vic rolls over and faces me, rubbing his eyes with the back of his palm. "Kells, this better be important." He groaned tiredly.

I huff in frustration. "I've been thinking about yesterday and I can't forget what you said."

Vic looks at me intently as he sits up slightly. "What do you mean?" He question confused.

"I just wish it worked out, what does that mean?" I stated.

He turns away from me, avoiding my gaze. "It's nothing." He says quickly. I glare at him before laying my hand in his shoulder. My actions caused him to look at me.

"What are you hiding from me, Vic?"

Tears prick the corners of his eyes but he blinks them away. "I was 17 and stupid, there was this one man who I thought I loved and who I thought loved me." He starts tearing up a little. "We began a sexual relationship and I started to feel ill so I went to the doctors and I found out that I was 6 weeks pregnant."

I nodded waiting for him to continue. "After that, the doctors told me that I could get an abortion if I wanted one, but I couldn't face taking my baby's life. That night when I went home, I told this man and he hurt me."

"How?" I ask calmly. Vic wiped the tears away and sat up fully.

"He beat us."

"Us?" I question slightly confused.

"Me and my baby. He punched me and pushed me down the stairs, then kicked me in my stomach. I was surrendered helpless from the pain so I just laid there and took the beating." Tears fell from his eyes as he explained.

I pulled him in close to my chest, feeling when he clutched onto my shirt. "This man, who was he?"

"Jamie." He cries out. I respond by softly stroking his hair, hushing him contently.

"Was the baby planned?"

Vic pulled away and looked me in the eye. "No, it was the night he r-raped me. I don't want to do it anymore, Kells." He cries aloud.

"It's okay, it's all over now."

"Please don't let him you as well." He begs.

I lift his chin with my finger. "Hey, I don't want to hear that, okay. It's all in the past and I promise nothing is going to change that, do you understand me?"

Vic nods quietly. "Tell me you love me." He whimpers. "Please, just tell me you love me."

"I love you, Viccy." I've never seen Vic like this and I know I don't like it.

Vic leans forwards and plants his lips to mine. I don't respond immediately but I know that I have to make him feel safe. I push my lips back against his, our lips moving perfectly together.

Carefully, I pull away as Vic lays his head back on my chest, catching his breath.

"You're brave." I praise simply. "For telling me all of this."

Vic sniffs as I place a kiss to his head before I go back to playing with his hair.

I was about to get up, when Vic grabbed my arm and cuddled into me. "Stay with me, please." He whispered looking up at me with pleading eyes.

I did as he asked, pulling him close to me. He was shaking slightly so I wrapped my arm around him.

It was getting late and I didn't want to leave Vic on his own. I look down at the precious boy my arms to see that he has fallen asleep.

I lay him down gently and pull the covers up to his chin as he contently whimpered. My hand stroked his cheek as I moved some of the fallen hair from his face.

Knowing I couldn't leave him, I sat beside him quietly, when all of a sudden, I felt he smooth yet small hand encase mine, our fingers laced perfectly with each others as he slept.