Chapter 14: A Brief Encounter

I heard a faint knock at the door as I walked towards it, opening it slightly.

To my surprise, it was a different woman from before. "Victor Fuentes?" She questioned, not looking from the pad of paper.

Confusion filled my mind and was obvious in my face. "Yes," I said slowly but cautiously.

"I'm here about your son Hunter, may I come in?" I opened the door wider for her to walk through.

The black haired woman sat down opposite me before handing me a piece of paper. "My name's Officer Lacey, I'm here to track down Hunter's rapist." She spoke clearly and confidently.

"Of course." I replied, shaking her hand.

"As far as I'm aware, you were working with one of my colleagues, correct?" I nodded. "I have stepped in as a filler as she is currently unwell."

I nodded again.

Suddenly, I heard someone walking into the living room. "Daddy," called my son.

I turned to him with a sympathetic look. Hunter glanced from me to Officer Lacey, terror filling his brown eyes.

"It's okay, daddy will sort this." I calmly explained to him. "How about you go outside with Kellin and Copeland, I'll join you soon."

Hunter grabbed my hands, lacing our fingers together. "Be c-careful," he whispered in my ear.

I nodded giving him a loving smile before he started to walk away.

"Wait." Called Lacey. Hunter turned towards her, slightly scared. "I'd prefer if you'd stay."

The fragile boy glanced to me before I spoke up. "I don't think that's necessary."

The lady shot a look at me and I knew I couldn't win. "It's for the best."

Hunter nodded sitting next to me. I placed my hand on his knee, trying to comfort him.

"Hunter." Came her authoritative tone. "I'm going to ask you a few questions and I want you answer either yes or no, okay?"

"Okay."

Lacey grabbed her pen, starting to write down 'Hunter.'

"Do you remember anything from your childhood?" She asked, looking towards my baby.

"No."

"Do you remember where you were held when you were kidnapped?"

I could tell that Hunter wanted to cry, but he fought them back. "Y-yes."

Lacey pulled her head to look at Hunter. "Can you describe it to me?"

Hunter nodded slowly.

"It was c-cold and d-dark." He stuttered. "My f-f-foot was tied to s-something."

My hand rubbed his knee trying to comfort him. "A chain?" She asks.

Hunter nods.

"So you wouldn't escape." Lacey spoke slowly so Hunter could understand. "Do you recognize your surroundings?"

Hunter shook his head.

"Were there any smells that stuck out to you? Anything you could see?" Came Lacey.

"A g-graveyard." Replied the delicate boy. "I was so s-scared."

Hunter's words hit me, brushing my heart. "I saw y-you."

Them three words caused Lacey to glance at my son while I wore an expression of confusion. "What do you mean you saw me?" Questioned I.

"A-at the end of the h-hallway." He stuttered. "You was standing t-there and c-calling for m-me."

At that moment the atmosphere became heavy, filling with tension and sympathy. "We're you drugged?" Asked Lacey.

Hunter shook his head again.

What does he mean by that?

"You've been a great help, thank you for your time Hunter." He only nodded slightly before I sent him outside with Kellin.

"Victor, your son needs help, serious at that."

"What do you think I should do?" I asked frantically yet collectively.

"I'm going to get in touch with a psychologist and see if they think similar outcomes."

I shook my head in disbelief. "You're not saying....are you?"

Lacey nodded.

"I am, Victor." Tears rolled down my face.

"Your son may have schizophrenia."

I only let the tears fall.