Chapter 4: Finding Out About Mike

We arrived at the zoo about 20 minuets later due to roadworks. I was shocked to see that not a lot of people were there, it was scarcely populated for such an attraction as this.

It was easy finding a parking spot outside the entrance and once we did, Vic turned off the engine and slumped back in his seat. "You ready to see some animals baby?" I ask my two year old, who was looking back at me while watching nursery rhymes on my phone.

Copeland giggled at the thought of the animals. "Giraffe," she laughed in response.

I hopped out off the car and walked over to my daughter. I quickly unstrapped her, picking her up in my arms. Vic came over to us placing his hand on my shoulder. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I just want to make memories for her. With you." I reply slightly pained.

Vic exchanged a smile with me, "Then what are we waiting for? Let's go shows this beauty some animals." Vic exclaimed stroking Copeland's cheek with his pointer finger.

"Do you want to hold her?" I ask.

Vic looks at me with joy written from ear-to-ear. "Can I?" I nod in reply. "Thank you."

I hand Copeland over to Vic, watching as the two loves of my life share a heartwarming moment. "Hey you, are you ready to see some animals with me and daddy?" He asks, again stroking her face. Copeland responds by grabbing onto Vic's hand and pulling his pointer finger to her mouth as she gently sucked on it, looking up at him with big eyes.

Vic's eyes start to water as he's immune to my presence. "You're so good with her," I praise. "She really likes you."

"Yeah, I just wish it worked out." Vic whispered but I heard. I wasn't going to ruin the moment and ask him what he meant by that, I'll find out when Copeland's asleep tonight.

We walk through the entrance with Vic still holding Copeland, playfully bouncing her to the beat of his steps.

There was a sign saying lockers with an arrow pointing in the direction. The three of us travelled over to it and placed our bags in the confined area, I grabbed Copeland's bottle before locking it.

Vic put Copeland down holding her hand. "What should we go see first?" I asked her, kneeling to her level.

Copeland steppes towards me as she held both sides of my face. She gently stroked my skin as she giggled. "Giraffe."

I nodded and stood up. Vic took ahold of her hand again, with me holding her other as we headed towards the giraffe enclosure.

The field was surrounded by a tall fence where four giraffes roamed freely.

Copeland ran up to the fence bubbling as she went. Vic and I sat on a nearby bench watching her.

"Who was you talking to on the phone earlier?" I ask sounding carious.

"Mike, he asked if we wanted to go for dinner with him tomorrow, and I agreed." I nodded understandingly.

"How is he?"

Vic looked at me. "He recently got married to Tony," my eyes widened. "And they're planning of adopting a baby."

"Congratulations. That's amazing news." I praise as I hug him.

"Thank you."

Copeland ran towards us, her eyes bright. I picked her up. "We should get some food." I suggest and Vic nods.

There was a small restaurant to the right of us. We walked there and through the door. "You and Copes go find a table, I'll order." Vic nods before taking Copeland from my arms and heading over to a spare table.

I ordered Vic and I a pizza to share and Copeland some chicken nuggets. I carried the tray to our table and sat down next to Vic.

"Thanks." He said cheerfully. As we sat eating and talking about random things, a couple came up to us.

"Hey, where can I get a man like yours?" The lady mocked, pointing to Vic.

I scolded at her with disgust. "Don't worry about that honey, look at the child." The man started. "It's cute to see a gay couple adopt a kid that isn't wanted." He continued.

That was it, I couldn't take it anymore. I stood to be level with the man as I stare him dead in the eye.

"Excuse me, what did you just say about my daughter?" I hiss signaling that I was pissed.

The blond man sniggered, looking me up and down. "I said who would want that ugly thing," he repeated.

My fists automatically tighten as I feel myself getting angrier. "Kells." Vic said.

"Vic take Copeland outside, I'll sort this out." Vic complies and unstraps Copeland and picking her up.

"Be careful." Vic says as he gently squeezes my shoulder. I look at him quickly. "Please." I nod understandingly.

Once Vic and Copeland are outside, I confront the man, stepping closer to him. The man pushed me back by my shoulder against a wall as he hold my neck. "You know I would just love to fuck that pretty boy of yours."

I tried to push him off me but had no luck. "I wouldn't do that if o were you," he spoke slamming my head hard against the wall.

I whimper in pain struggling against him. "Make him scream my name and when he does, I'll record every second of it and make you watch it. Do you understand me, Kellin?"

"How do you know my name?"

The man sniggered, "Vic's told me a lot about you Kellin. You see, Vic's was best friend, my soulmate but you took him away from me." He screamed hitting me across the face.

Now it all made sense why Vic told me to 'be careful.' I know who I'm dealing with.

"J-Jamie." I stutter. He laughs telling me I was right.

"I knew it wouldn't be too long before you remembered me."

My mind wonders to a place I don't want it to go. "It's not you I remember." I start.

"It's what you did." I whispered.