Just in Time

Coral got up. She looked at the clock. 

7:00 AM.

"Shoot!" Coral runs out of her room and takes a quick shower, gets dressed, grabs breakfast (a loaf of bread) and runs out the door. 

She starts walking quickly to school. She didn't want to be late! As she looked to the right, a car had pulled over. She paused for a moment. The window rolled down and someone motioned for her to come closer. She did so, carefully and cautiously. As she peaked into the car, she sees a guy, maybe one or two years older than her. She steps back, but he gently says:

"We go to the same school. I can drive you there. It is kinda late, and you'll never make it walking."

Coral recognized him. No, she did not know who he was, but she had seen him around. 

"Fine, since it is an emergency."

He smiled and unlocked the door. Coral hesitated for a bit, then got in. She was tense the whole drive, and was relieved to finally arrive at school. 

"I'll drop you off by the gate."

She nodded, and got out. She walked in without a problem, but a few seconds later the first bell rang. The guy did not make it in time. 

*If he hadn't stopped for me... If he hadn't dropped me off by the gate.... He would have made it in time...* Coral thinks. The guy sees her, and smiles, motioning it is okay and that she should hurry. 

Coral turns around and runs to her first period. She gets to class just in time. 

During class she finds it hard to concentrate. 

*Why did he stop? Why did he call out to me? Why did he drive me? Why did he drop me off? Why did I get in the car? Could I have made it without his help? What's his name?* 

Coral keeps repeating these questions to herself, picturing his tender smile, telling her not to worry... She leans on her hands and stares into space. Who was he?

During the passing period, she looks around campus. She flinches every time she sees someone who resembles him, or when she spots someone with similar fiery hair, but she doesn't identify him... She feels slightly disappointed. She wanted to thank him...

She walks to her dance class, but nothing is quite the same.. She is not as excited as she usually would be, and her moves are lazy and slow. Her head is somewhere else..

The next passing period the same thing happened. Again, no results. Stella spots her and waves, but Coral doesn't notice and keeps walking down the hall.  She goes to her locker to put in her dance bag, and spots a figure, about the same height, and caught a glimpse of ginger hair, around the corner. She skips over, excited, only to find somebody else and awkwardly apologizing. 

She sighs... Will she see him at all today?

At the end of the day, she ended up not seeing him at all. She walked over to Starbucks, not waiting for her friends. She ordered a coffee and stared out the window... Would she see him tomorrow? Why was she acting like this?

                                                   (Credit to original artist)

Then Stella and Linda walked in. "Coral? Why didn't you wait for us?" Stella demands jokingly.

Linda observed silently. 

Coral turned around and smiled, and with her usual energy, she replied.

"You guys are slow so I went ahead, hehe." she says sarcastically. "We're all her now right? Go order, My treat today." she smiles. 

Stella sits down and Linda goes to order, keeping an eye on Coral. Something seemed off. 

Stella starts talking excitedly. 

"You know, today was absolutely glorious! Jonah kept looking at me for some reason! He even talked to me, not that I was able to respond much hehe. He said that the first photo-club meeting is in one week, and that I should have some pictures in a collage to show the club. He said he'd sent out a text to the group chat. Then I said I didn't think I was in it, and he asked for my NUMBER!!! I know! I gave it to him and then he walked to class, saying that he'd talk to me later! I am so excited!"

"Sounds like you had a good day." Coral says. 

"Definitely!"

Linda comes back with their drinks. Just then, three guys approach the table. 

"Steven has something he wants to say to you." The two guys on the sides nudge the guy in the middle forward. 

"I... I..."

"Come on, just say it haha."

"Eh..."

"He likes you." The guy on the right says. 

The guy in the middle looks down and asks, "Will you go out with me?"

"Sorry. No." Coral says determinedly. 

"Ooooooh! Rejected! hahaha!" The two friends start laughing. The guy in the middle just says a quiet "okay" and walks away, the friends following him chuckling.

"That was harsh Coral... You don't usually reject so straight to the point..." Stella points out. "That's what I usually do, hehe. He was also kinda cute.. Couldn't you have given him a chance?"

"If I am not interested, I am not interested." Coral says cooly.

Linda is sure of it. Something is definitely off... 

"Well, anything fun happen to anyone?" Linda asks.

"Yes!" Stella says, and she repeats the whole story to Linda. 

"That's awesome! I am sure we'll see some kind of development soon!"

"Oh yeah? You think so? I really hope so!!!" Stella says fantasizing in her head.

"Coral? Did you make it to school in time? You sent an SOS text in the group chat! Haha. You were late again, weren't you?"

"No... I actually made it in time..."

"Before the first bell? No way! Your text got out 5 minutes before that bell rang!" Stella points out.

"Someone drove me..."

"Who? Your dad? Isn't he like super busy?"\

"No. A guy."

"You have a boyfriend?"

"No."

Linda was sure of it. Now, more than ever. 

Coral was having her first crush...