Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about seeing Gerard the next day. It was all I could think about when I went to sleep the night before. Was he really willing to get involved with me? After everything he'd said, was he going to still continue anyway?

I turned my headphones up extra loud on the way to college, but all that succeeded in doing was blocking out the rest of the world completely and leaving me alone with my thoughts and the steady bass line on the song.

Of course, when I got to college it was more bearable. I couldn't exactly tell my friends about it, so I just pretended that everything was it's normal, mundane self.

"You still gotta go to church tonight?" Jimmy asked me at lunch as we all say around our regular circular table. Even though we were all in college, we were still teenagers, and so naturally the cliques on people still existed. We were the weird, artistic, somewhat musical kids who tended to wear dark colours, or in Jimmy's case have bright hair, and have plenty of sarcastic comments to dish out.

There were various other groups of people, all who seemed to hang out in particular places and keep to themselves. Luckily it looked like the popular, jock-type guys kept to themselves, as did the it crowd of girls. At least they seemed to have moved past the stage of bullying that you'd get in high school.

"Yeah" I sighed, pretending to dread it "I'm the nephew who's going through a gay phase, remember?"

"They still haven't come to terms with it?" Kellin frowned.

"Nope, now they're just pretending the whole thing never happened. I guess they think that me going to church constantly will help me see the error of my ways or something. They'll work out how wrong they are soon though."

"Maybe one of us should come over and pretend to be your boyfriend just to piss them off" Oli mused "And get the message across obviously, but mainly just to piss them off and force them to come to terms with it."

"I'd offer, but i'm no loner single" Kellin winked, causing Lynz to immediately swoop in, eyes wide at the new information.

"He asked you?" She grinned, giving him a hug "Aw, congratulations, I was hoping you guys would get serious about this whole thing and not just turn into fuck buddies like-" she stopped abruptly, trailing off "Well, I'm just glad you're happy Kellin."

"I am" He blushed a little "Really, I think Vic's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"What was Lynz talking about earlier?" I asked Chantal as we walked towards our last lessons.

"What do you mean?" She tried to brush it off, but I could tell she knew what I was going on about because she didn't make eye contact when she said it. She may have been a confident speaker, but she wasn't a good liar.

"Back at lunch, she started to mention something about fuck buddies...?" She sighed and stopped walking so that she could talk to me face to face. "Sorry, you don't have to tell me, I was just curious."

"It's okay, you should probably know anyway - you'll find out at some point anyway" She stepped to one side of the corridor, pulling me along with her so that we were away from everyone else pushing through to get to class. "It's Oli. He's been seeing this girl called Hannah for ages. They agreed to this friends-with-benefits arrangement type thing, but he's totally fallen for her."

"Seriously?"

"Yep. He's besotted with her and she doesn't even know. He's trying to deny it, but we can all tell. I just want him to tell this girl, because she's probably feeling the same way back and yet they're both too afraid to say anything in case they mess it up completely. That's why Lynz was so glad that Kellin's in a proper relationship and not just one that screws with your feelings like Oli and Hannah." She spoke so fast that it was a miracle I could keep up with what she was telling me.