Thirty Six

Thirty Six

Sheer panic ran through me as I realised just how much shit I could possibly be in. Dewees was already out of his seat and heading towards the door, his expression enough to tell me I had limited time to find a place to curl up and hold my breath in.

I went for the cupboard under the stairs, knowing that there was no time to get up the stairs without making too much noise. Especially when Dewees was already at the door, waiting for me to be completely hidden before he let that thug into his house.

"Just coming!" He yelled, trying desperately to stall as I threw myself into the confident space, pulling the door shut behind me and behind grateful for once of my short legs that just about fit when I curled up in that cobweb-infested hole. Thank god I wasn't too claustrophobic, or I really would've been in shit.

It was dark in there, to the point where I could only just about see my own hand in front of my face. So I had to rely on my hearing to know what was going on outside. And luckily, it wasn't exactly hard to overhear when Ian had such a loud, booming voice.

"Finally!" I heard him exclaim "What the hell took you so long? Three of us have been waiting out here in plain sight for five minutes now."

"Sorry" Dewees was quick to reply. Much like a small, obedient puppy really "I was listening to music and didn't hear the knocking at first."

"Why am I not surprised?" Another voice sighed "You sure you really want to trust this idiot Ian? Dosen't exactly look like the sort of person I'd want to put in charge of a fucking goldfish."

"Piss of Rob" Dewees retorted to this new voice before calming down his tone to adress Ian again "Is that why you've showed up so suddenly? Did you need me for something?"

"Unfortunately, yes" Ian quipped "And as much as I don't need advice from you Rob, you have a point,but we don't have any other options here. If the cops find even so much of a whisp of evidence linking you to me, they'll be able to get a search warrant on you too. And even on Kyle here." At least I now knew the names all three thugs visting now.

"Wait what?" Dewees sounded like he was trailing after them into the kitchen "What's going on?"

"We need somewhere to stash our... supplies" Ian seemed to choose his words carefully.

"Our old hiding spot isn't safe anymore, one of our guys got taken in for questioning and we think he might have leaked Ian's name" That was Rob guy's voice again. It was starting to irritate me even though i'd never seen his face. There was definitely a nasally tone to it.

"Basically we're all on tenterhooks and we need someone who'd never be associated with us" A third voice, which must have belonged to the guy named Kyle, spoke up. His voice was more gruff than Rob's, but still not holding the power than Ian projected with his.

"Wait, you mean me?"

"Is that a problem Dewees?" All of a sudden Ian's tone of voice was threatening, almost territorial and downright scary. "We need you to step up for once and be part of this. Is that too much for you to handle?"

"N-no" Dewees all but spluttered "It's just... Where am I suppose to hide all of that? There's so much of it and I can't be caught smuggling it in and out, I just can't. I mean I-"

"Shut the fuck up a minute" Ian snapped so suddenly I found myself flinching from my place in the cupboard.

"What is it?" nasal Rob piped up.

"Is there someone else here Dewees?" Ian asked, making my blood run cold. How the hell could he possibly know? I didn't bring any of my possessions with me and if they were in the kitchen they wouldn't even be in sight of my hiding spot.