Chapter 2: nineppaH saV

Zayn Malik

As soon as we hit backstage, our stylists praised us and rushed us into the dressing room. Harry stayed behind with Lola.

I pulled my shirt off and glanced over at them while I changed. Harry pulled his hand out of hers and smiled at her. I hoped he wasn’t asking her to leave. She couldn’t leave yet.

Ugh. Harry was such a charmer. He could win her heart in a second. Just like he won the room. I didn’t have a chance.

He smiled and laughed and whispered to her.

And she nodded and blushed.

She hadn’t blushed when I’d sang to her. I suddenly wondered who her favorite was. Maybe it was Harry.

I clenched my jaw.

“Zayn.” Liam said, nudging my arm. “Hurry up and change.”

I unclenched my jaw and shook my head to remove all my stupid thoughts. What was I thinking, going for her? I had Perrie. And I wasn’t going to be a two-timing jerk.

Harry quickly made his way to us and started dressing in a haste. He was smiling strangely. He probably liked her.

I looked at her, then.  I managed to catch her eye, but she looked away again. Just as she had onstage.

She left me feeling empty inside.

Lola Solemen

The way he looked at me... I was so irritated by it. Where had he seen me? Okay, the real question was whether or not he’d actually seen me. I doubted it.

"Excuse me," a woman said beside me.

I turned to face her, confused.

"Please have a seat while you wait for them."

She motioned for me to sit at a couch toward a corner of the room beside a long table filled with edible goods. I walked over to it and sat down.

I heard the boys' voices coming from the stage and realized that they had already gone back out. I hadn't even seen them leave backstage.

I sat there and waited, humming along to I Want while they sang their last song of the night.

Last song of the night.

This was it then. I'd be leaving in no less than five minutes.

I sighed.

"Thank you!"

"It was a pleasure playing for you!"

"Bye!"

I heard the boys and they came running backstage, laughing.

"You're still here," Liam said, smiling.

I nodded, not knowing what to say. I stood up.

Niall walked over to the table with Louis and they began stuffing everything they could find into their mouths.

I laughed.

Harry came up to me then, holding a One Direction T-shirt and a copy of their Up All Night CD.

"Today's your lucky day," Harry said smiling. "Liam. Go find a Sharpie."

Liam gave Harry an I-hate-you-for-making-me-do-this look before striding away.

I couldn't help but scan the perimeter for Zayn.

Where was he?