Chapter 6: Close Contact

Lola Solemen

I started walking to the couch. I could hear Zayn's footsteps as he followed me to it. We sat down beside each other.

 "Would it be weird if I got a picture with you guys too?" I asked him, laughing.

He laughed too. "Why would it be weird?"

I shrugged. "I don't know..."

He smiled.

We sat silently for a few seconds, watching Louis jump on Harry, causing Niall to laugh.

"So... when did you plan all this?" I asked.

"The singing?" He said, looking at me. "When I saw Harry pick you."

I looked at him in surprise. "You think ahead."

"I do." He laughed. "I would've asked you to sing then and there, but I was afraid you might be confused or...." He trailed off and looked down at his hands which were laying on his lap.

"I don't know." He said after a moment. "I didn't want to scare you off or something."

Aw. He was so cute!

"Zayn, you're so—" I started to say.

My phone vibrated, cutting my sentence short.

"Sorry," I said to him, smiling shyly and taking my phone out of my little bag.

It was a text from Kris: OMG! No way! Is there a video of it? This would be perfect for your Youtube account! You singing with One Direction! Holy craaap. I'm dying. Call me!

I laughed at the text message and heard Zayn chuckle near my ear. I looked up and his face was an inch away from mine.

"Sorry," he said, looking into my eyes. "I was peeking."

We stared at each other a bit.

Then he said, "Curiosity."

"It killed the cat." I said lamely.

He laughed. "Yeah. It did."

"Zayn!" Harry yelled.

We looked up at the rest of the boys who were by the curtains that led to the stage. Harry waved Zayn over to him.

"Do you mind waiting here?" Zayn asked, leaning a little back now so that his face wasn't as close anymore. "Let me talk to him for a second."

"Of course not. I'll just reply—" I was cut short again by another vibration of my phone.

Zayn laughed as he stood. "To your text."

I smiled. "Yup."

He smiled back and went up to Harry.

Zayn Malik

“C’mon,” Harry said as soon as I reached him.

We didn’t look each other in the eye, he just started walking toward the exit and I followed him. We left backstage and a cold breeze swept over us.

It felt great. The cold.

Since we were outside, I decided to smoke. Especially since I knew the following conversation was going to be a tough one.

“What’s up?” I asked casually. I pulled out a cigarette from the pack in my pocket and placed it between my lips. I lit it.

“Zayn,” Harry said simply.

I leaned back against the wall by the door. I guess he wanted me to meet his gaze. I forced my eyes to move to his face.