Chapter fifteen*

Dancing rays of the rising sun descended into the castle of Hogwarts, and Professors woke up to prepare for their classes. A week of school had already passed and the students were adjusting back to waking up early. Hermione's alarm clock was also set, and went off promptly at six o' clock. With a movement of her hand, the clock was silenced and Hermione opened her eyes blearily. She picked up her clothes for the day and headed into the bathroom to take a shower, but encountered Draco who was already in there.

"I have to take a shower and those take a long time because my thick hair and such, not to mention making it look presentable after. So finish brushing your teeth and get out." Hermione said.

"I need a shower too." Draco frowned.

"I called it first." Hermione gave him a helpful push out of the bathroom.

"Well what am I supposed to do?"

"Figure it out." Hermione said, offering no sympathy.

"I'll hop in the shower with you." Draco joked. "Kidding!" He added, seeing Hermione's expression. She turned on the shower and turned the knob to the right temperature.

Draco started to busy himself with getting washed up and turned to Hermione expectantly tapping her foot.

"Yes?" He said innocently.

"I need to take a shower."

"So take a shower."

"Get out of the bathroom." Hermione pointed to his room.

"I can't see into the shower. Just use it. I won't look in." Draco began to brush his teeth.

"You..." Hermione shook her head as she stepped into the dry part of the stall and began to undress to take her shower.

"Devilishly handsome man? Yes I know." Draco called over the sound of running water. Hermione groaned and continued to wash her hair.

Draco busied himself by fetching some clothes for the day, and kicked his clothes into his closet in the effort of making the room look cleaner. He shook his head at the messy bed but didn't attempt to make it. Adjusting to a life without house elves at your beck and call was hard to get used to. He made his way back into the bathroom and leaned against the wall to wait.

"Um. Malfoy?" Hermione had turned off the shower a while ago, but hadn't come out. "Can you hand me my towel?"

"Where is it?" Draco looked around, and spotted a small rough towel that Hogwarts provided. That wouldn't do for her. "Never mind. Found it." Draco picked up his large, and much softer one to give to her.

"Err. How should I give it to you?" Draco looked up and the top of the stall was quite high, and he didn't want it plopping on her face.

Hermione opened the door a crack, and stuck her hand out. As soon as she touched the towel, she grasped it and pulled it back in before closing the door. "You got the wrong one. Isn't this yours?" She frowned.

"You can use it. I'll use the one you had out." Draco said back.

"It's much poorer quality than this one."

"I know." Draco smiled to himself that for once, he was selfless. He snapped out of his thoughts, and supposed he should just get undressed so he could go in as soon as she came out. He went into his room and put his bathrobe on and after carefully making sure the glamour charm was still working perfectly, he went back out to wait for Hermione to finish.

"Done." Hermione stepped out with Draco's towel folded neatly into a small rectangle and handed it back. "Thanks."

"Keep it. I'll get myself another one." He gently pushed her hand back her way, and made to get into the shower.

Hermione couldn't stop smiling to herself as she tucked her new towel back where the old one used to be. Maybe Malfoy really could change.

After brushing her teeth and washing her face, Hermione finally got to her most daunting task. Fixing her hair to look somewhat presentable. Why not use magic? Because the last time she tried, her hair looked like an Afro after the knots were out.

Bracing herself, she took out a huge brush, and got to work. Hermione was usually a patient woman, but one thing she hated was how long it took for her to brush out her hair.

Draco's shower stopped and within a few minutes, he was out. Coincidentally Hermione was just in the process of trying to untangle her brush after it got stuck in her hair.

"Don't look at me like that." Hermione finally gave up and looked defiantly at Draco through the reflection of the mirror.

"Need help?" Draco raised an eyebrow.

"Yes because you know so much about hair."

"Actually I have quite some experience. Mother liked it when I brushed her hair for her. And her hair got knotted almost as quickly as yours." Draco threw his stuff into his room, and closed the door. He grabbed a hold of the brush handle, and began to work it out of her hair, strand by strand.

"Do you miss her? Your mother?" Hermione asked after a while.

"My mother was the most supportive of me. It was my father that-" He stopped himself mid sentence. "Wasn't so supportive." He finished.

"She didn't seem to like me that much. Do you remember our encounter in sixth year at the robe shop?" 

"My father had eyes everywhere, and I mean everywhere. If she ruined our family's image, she'd be punished. So don't blame her too much. Also I'm finished." He stepped back and admired his handiwork.

"Thanks." Hermione smiled and tucked the brush back in its spot.

"Can I call you Hermione?" Draco asked.

"Can I call you Draco?" Hermione countered.

"I suppose." he shrugged

"Then yes." Hermione smiled. 

The Draco she was getting to know was so different from their past. He was almost...nice.

"Oh shoot it's time to go!" Hermione flew around her room to collect what she'd need for the day, and they walked out together.

"Ms. Granger, and Mr. Malfoy follow me." Professor Nash snapped as she turned into the hall they were standing in.

"Why." Draco challenged.

"For goodness sake, don't ask questions." Professor Nash had received a patronus to get the Head boy and Girl. She didn't punish Draco for his cheek this time which was unusual, and led the way down to the Great Hall at a quick pace.

Their confusion was settled as they heard yells coming from the Hall. Hermione began to sprint the rest of the way and Draco followed, yet Professor Nash overtook them both. Well this is an interesting start to the morning. Thought Hermione.