Chapter twenty seven*

"Remus?" Fred called. "I think I found something."

"What is it?" Remus walked over. 

The whole team had been working nonstop since Fred and George found the base, and had completely lost track of the day. The only breaks they had were to use the restroom and to have a few minutes for a small snack every half day or so.

"Look." Fred added a thestral's hair to a replica of their current antidote, and added it to a small sample of Hermione's blood. The dark red color swirled to a lighter shade for about a minute, before turning back to its original color.

"I think you're onto something here." Remus suddenly had a spur of adrenaline and gathered the group around to show what Fred had discovered. Remus let Fred explain how he thought of adding a thestral hair, and why it would help.

"Everyone make a replica of the cure with the thestral hair in it and keep going." Remus instructed. They had discovered a few more ingredients to add afterwards, and the discovery of the thestral hair seemed to give them hope they could finish.

"We need a food break." George announced. Everyone had been working with no complaints, but he decided to say something.

"Keep working." Remus shook his head.

"Remus this is ridiculous. You yourself are about to fall over with exhaustion from lack of sleep and food. We don't even know what day it is anymore. At the very least, let's go relax and re-energize for a few hours. That way when we come back we can have a fresh set of eyes to look at this." Fred backed up his twin. The rest of the group gave supportive nods, and Remus sighed and gave in.

"Two hours max, but we'll eat at the hospital to give Hermione what we've made so far and see what happens. Then take some more samples." Remus said strictly. 

Without another word, the whole group apparated together to right outside Hogwarts. Filch let them in, and they dragged their feet inside the school and into the hospital wing.

"Remus?" Madam Pomfrey made her way out of her office. "Oh my what have you done to these people?" She immediately rushed over and examined everyone.

"We're making a quick stop to try our latest cure, take more samples, and eat before going back to work. How long has it been since the last time we were here?" Remus asked.

"Three days." Madam Pomfrey whispered. "Minerva's beginning to panic, time is running out and she's barely left Hermione alone. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining since at least she's eating." She turned an accusatory glare to the group.

"It's all Remus." Fred grinned. "Okay let's go in and give Hermione what we have. I'm ready to feast." He walked into the secluded room, and the rest filed in behind.

"Hello? Minerva?" Remus frowned. The witch was sitting up but her gaze looked lost.

"Don't worry. She's been doing this often." Madam Pomfrey shook her friend a few times and she snapped out of it.

"Sorry." She murmured and went to stand by Madam Pomfrey.

"Here goes." Fred walked forward and injected what they had into Hermione's IV. They awaited with bated breath for any signs of movement. This time Hermione's fingers twitched and her leg moved.

"Very nice!" George grinned and clapped Remus on the back. "We're making good progress."

"Progress?" Remus ran a frustrated hand through his thin hair. "You said three days passed right? You know what that means? Eleven days have passed since Hermione was cursed."

"Three days left." Fred realized.

"There's no time to rest. We must get back to it." Remus shook his head disdainfully.

"No. You're all having some warm soup, and resting. I'll wake you up in four hours, no compromises." Madam Pomfrey snapped. "You'll be no good in helping Hermione if you're all falling asleep on your feet."

She sectioned off the hospital wing and conjured many beds in that space. Once everyone was sitting on one, she brought a bowl of soup to each person. They thanked her and gratefully began to eat. "Not too quickly." She warned. "You haven't eaten in a while so if you have a lot of food in a short amount of time, it'll upset your stomach."

"Thank you." said Remus. He hated to admit it, but it was for the best that they had a bit of rest. Within fifteen minutes the whole group was fast asleep.

Madam Pomfrey shook her head at Remus. He was one determined person when he had a goal, and left his wife and child at home to go work on the cure. Maybe it was for the best there were only three days left. His family will need him back.

Madam Pomfrey made her way back to Hermione and checked all the vitals. Even after the newest antidote was administered, her heart rate was slowing down slightly. She made up her mind to do all the research she could on a helare and it's magical properties. She hoped she could find something that will help Remus and his group, and so she pulled out old healer books and began reading.

A few hours later an alarm meant to remind Madam Pomfrey to wake the group up, startled the healer herself awake from sleep. She quickly used a refresher spell and went to wake up the group. They looked slightly more rested than before their naps, and thanked her on their way out.

Madam Pomfrey made her way back to her office and sat down, however instead of reading through books she started to think back. Different ways of healing she had seen before that weren't in any healer text books. And that's where it hit her. "Minerva where are they making the cure?" She walked over to the room.

"Somewhere in the Ministry Of Magic I think." Professor McGonagall said.

"Thanks." She disapparated on the spot, and appeared a second later in front of the ministry.

"What's your business at the Ministry today?" A young looking wizard asked from behind the front desk.

"I need to see Remus Lupin."

"I'm afraid we don't have a Remus Lupin here." He said nonchalantly. Madam Pomfrey realized they must've been told to keep their mouths shut about it and decided to go straight to the highest power.

"Send me to Kingsley then." She smiled.

"Our Minister is too busy for people like you to just show up and-"

"Poppy?" none other than Kingsley Shacklebolt strode over upon seeing her.

"Just the person I was looking for!" She beamed.

"Oh I'm so very sorry-I thought you weren't-well that it wasn't-I mean-" the poor man stuttered.

"It's quite alright." Madam Pomfrey said kindly. Kingsley led her to an elevator and took her to a floor.

"I assume this is about the cure?"

"Yes. I thought of a valuable ingredient for it." Madam Pomfrey nodded.

"What is it?" He inquired curiously.

"A phoenix tear."