Chapter thirty eight*

"Good morning." Remus made his way over and sat down beside her bed. Madam Pomfrey put up walls and sound proofed the room for privacy.

"What are you doing here? I didn't know you've been working at the ministry." Hermione asked curiously.

"I got employed after I helped make the antidote for you." Remus explained. "Kingsley asked me if I wanted a more permanent position in the ministry and I said yes. I've always wanted to help in some way to put dark wizards behind bars, and being a law enforcer is my way of doing that now."

"So you're going to represent the case against him in court?"

"Not quite. I gather all the evidence against him I can find, write up my conclusion with all my evidence, give it to the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, and the case will be in their hands." Remus corrected. 

"So what kind of questions are you going to ask me?" Hermione said hesitantly.

"Well-about everything. I need all the information I can get...Including photos." Remus added.

"Well you may as well start so she can get this over with." Madam Pomfrey suggested.

"I'm going to need to record our conversation. Is that okay?" Remus checked. Hermione nodded silently. "I also have to give you this potion of veritaserum. It's ridiculous I know, but it is protocol."

"I'll administer it through your tube." Madam Pomfrey took the potion and injected it into Hermione.

"Alright let's begin." Remus began the recording. "What's your full name?"

"Hermione Jean Granger."

"How was the Hufflepuff goblet destroyed?"

"I stabbed it with a basilisk fang." Hermione said confidently.

"What is the name of the person that kidnapped you?"

"Theodore Nott."

"And what did he do to you?"

"He ra-" Hermione bit her lip and felt the tears rushing to her eyes. "He raped me, assaulted me, and threatened to kill me and my friends."

"Can you-" Remus took a moment to compose himself. He was very close to the young witch and it hurt him to have to ask her these things. "Can you remember anything specific? Maybe an incident?"

"There was a time when we were in a basement of a house I didn't recognize. I was weak, and hadn't had anything to eat or drink in days. I can still hear his footsteps echoing down the stairs...He came downstairs and-and he backed me against the wall and-" Hermione broke off.

"I see." Remus jotted some notes down. "If there are any memories you can share with me, please put them in these vials. It might be more incriminating of him, and easier for you to do than say it aloud."

"No. I don't want anyone to see me like that." Hermione shook her head firmly.

"I understand. Well-if you change your mind." Remus took out a few vials from his bag and put it on her nightstand. "I must be off. I'll see you soon." He looked like he was going to say something else, but thought better of it and walked out.

"You did good Hermione." Madam Pomfrey encouraged. The tears had begun to flow from her eyes.

"I have an announcement!" Humfrey burst open the door and Hermione flinched.

"What?" Madam Pomfrey snapped and stepped protectively in front of Hermione, shielding her from Humfrey's view.

"Leah has agreed to help Remus on the case against Mr. Nott. He has no chance now." Humfrey gestured to Leah who strode through the doors.

"Don't worry. We will get this done effortlessly and swiftly." Leah promised. "I'll need to speak with Remus about what he's got so far. Don't worry about a thing." She almost smiled, and walked out.

"She's amazing." Humfrey breathed, and his cheeks turned red once he realized he said it aloud. "I-I really have to go. Headmaster stuff." Humfrey stumbled over his feet and walked out of the door.

"He likes her doesn't he." Hermione shook her head.

"It certainly seems that way." Madam Pomfrey agreed. "By the way, I heard Fred and George are going to try and break in soon. I'm not allowed to know the exact date, but don't be alarmed if it happens. They shouldn't come in here."

"Okay. I'll be fine." 

"I must go check on the other patients and get some work done. Press the button next to you if you need me." Madam Pomfrey left the room.

Hermione took out a book from her bedside table and began to read. The hours passed by in a blur and before she knew it, the book had ended. It was an informational one about transfiguration. She was going to have to take her NEWTS in the upcoming year and didn't want to risk falling behind.

"Miss Granger?" A house elf knocked and let itself in. "I brought your lunch." It said shyly, and placed the tray of steaming food beside her.

"What's your name?" Hermione asked warmly.

"Twinkle." Twinkle said joyfully. She had heard stories of the witch before but didn't expect them to be so true.

"Nice to meet you Twinkle. Thank you so much for the food!"

"No problems. No problems at all." Twinkle looked up and Hermione instantly knew how she got her name. There seemed to be a twinkle in her eye. One that could not be dimmed, or go out for any reason.

"I'll see you later?" Hermione asked.

"Sorry. Twinkle would love to come back but she had to win an argument to bring this tray to you. Everyone wants a turn." Twinkle grinned. "Twinkle must go. Farewell."

"Bye." Hermione waved. The house elf vanished in an instant, and Hermione was alone once more.