Chapter forty*

"Okay everyone gather around." Draco gestured for the prefects to come and get their assignments. "Anthony, Ernie, and Hannah seeing as you are the eldest, I want you all to take charge of your house's prefects. I'm covering for Hermione tonight and will also patrol with the other Gryffindors." Draco instructed. 

"Again?" Ernie frowned.

"I saw her at dinner today." Hannah piped up.

"She needs to catch up on school work. I'll take the first shift with the other Gryffindors. Then it'll go Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws, and then Slytherins. Go to the designated starting points given to you by your leaders." Draco said.

"Alright. Come on let's get some rest before our shift." Anthony gestured to his fellow Ravenclaws to follow him, and they went down to the secret prefect room. This was recently added for the prefects to rest between watches.

Draco assigned the other Gryffindors the halls they were to patrol, and they all split up. The night went by quite uneventfully. Peeves was trying to stir up trouble, and a few third years  messed around with Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes products. It was finally time for him to go on his last shift with the Slytherins, and so he split everyone up and went off to the hall he gave himself.

Draco held his illuminated wand low as to not disturb the portraits. As he was turning the hall he heard a distant but large crashing sound coming from a floor down, sounding near the Great Hall. And that's when the alarms went off. He sprinted down a secret stairway and ushered Hufflepuffs back into their dorm before continuing. Teachers were rushing down to the commotion, and Draco approached the scene cautiously.

"I'm telling you we're Fred and George Weasley." Fred looked incredulously at the two young Slytherin prefects facing him with their wands up.

"Hey wands down guys." Draco gestured for them to lower their defense, and Kingsley and Andrea arrived. "They're with us."

"Well we got in." George said pointedly.

"I can see that." Kingsley sighed.

"The whole reason we did this was to ensure the safety of the Tournament. If it was still going you wouldn't have been able to get in." Andrea scoffed.

"We changed nothing in security after the tournament was cancelled. You know that." Kingsley chided. "Well congratulations you seem to have succeeded in your task. I suppose we'll have to start making some changes around here."

"Who are you?" Nathan, one of the fifth year prefects pointed to a group emerging from the same place Fred and George came from.

"Get back." Draco warned and stepped protectively in front of them. Humfrey and Kingsley also stepped forward threateningly with their wands out. There appeared to be three men, and three women. The other prefect decided to set off the alarm again, and the Heads of Houses sent patronuses to the dorms to make sure everyone stayed inside.

"We are the coven. The original Slytherins of this school." One of the men snarled.

"You have all lost sight of what the wizarding world should look like. You've poisoned the pure line of witches and wizards that should make up this school. Now it is time to right your wrongs, and clean out what needs to be gone." A woman spoke up.

"Kill every half blood and mudblood that roams this school - all the schools here in fact. Do this and we will leave you unharmed." Spoke another man.

"By that we mean anyone who has a parent or both parents that are muggles. If the parent came and learned magic, despite the slight impurity, they will count as a witch or wizard." The first man clarified, slightly ruining the tense moment.

"We will help you grow and keep the pure bloodline intact. If you have not yet done what we asked by the time the sun sets on the third day from now, we will come kill one person that is not pure. Starting with this girl you call Hermione Granger. We will take out the mudbloods first and then the half bloods. That number will double everyday until all of the people making our world unclean will be gone." A different woman warned.

"There is no stopping us. We will be watching." The last man snarled. They walked backwards into the shadows, and simply vanished.

"Turn off the alarm." Kingsley said quietly. 

Draco quickly cast the charm to turn it off. "What was that?" 

"Something that was thought to have been defeated many years ago. Even before Voldemort's time." Kingsley shook his head.

"How serious is this?" Humfrey asked.

"Very. In total they've probably taken the lives of a hundred thousand people doing what they just said." Professor Nash cut in.

"You know about them? It's highly classified information now. I only know about them through reading through journals from previous Minister of Magics." Kingsley frowned.

"The story has been passed down in my family for a long time now. I always thought it was a myth to frighten the children into behaving but I suppose not."

"Why wouldn't someone with a muggle parent that came to learn magic still count as a muggle?" One of the prefects asked.

"Because then they would have to admit that Tom Marvolo Riddle-Voldemort-was impure." Humfrey explained.

"But wasn't his father still a muggle? He didn't even learn to use magic." Draco inputted. He heard some stories of this as a child.

"If asked, they would argue he learned from his wife and did have magic in his system from the love potion he was given." Kingsley sighed.

"So now what to we do?" Professor Sprout huffed.

"Well we can't do what they want." Professor McGonagall pointed out.

"Let me think." Humfrey paced back and forth seemingly agitated.

"Well firstly we need to keep the people about to be targeted safe." Kingsley stated.

"Hermione." Draco froze in realization.

"Go to her." Professor McGonagall said quickly. 

Draco sprinted back to his dorm without another care in the world. After Hermione was kidnapped, the only people allowed to apparate on the school grounds were Humfrey and Kingsley.

"Overcome the odds." Draco said firmly when he got to the painting, and it swung open. "Hermione? Hermione it's me. Draco." Draco held his hands above his head so she could see it was him and unarmed. The sound of his shoes echoed through the small hall before reaching the common room. He heard a thudding sound and raced into the room to find Hermione on the floor with her hands covering her ears.

"No! Get away from me!" Hermione whipped out her wand and pointed it at him threateningly.

"I'm not going to hurt you. It's me Draco. Remember?"

"Just. Stay there." Hermione shakily kept her wand pointed at him and backed up the stairs, still facing him until she reached her door. She locked it behind her, and sat numbly on the bed. Did she really embarrass herself like that in front of Malfoy? Could she really not handle what was probably a false alarm anyways? Shaking her head at herself, she used a spell to brush her teeth and change. The instant her head hit the pillow, she sank into a deep sleep.