Chapter forty two*

"What are we going to do?"

Professor McGonagall was deeply troubled. 

She along with two other men was sitting in the headmasters office to discuss what they were going to do about the threat. The first day after it was made had come and gone, and nothing had been done. They were currently on the second day.

"Give me time to think." Humfrey huffed and continued to play with what looked to be a Chinese finger trap.

"Give me that." Kingsley unsuccessfully tried to force it off of his fingers.

"Stop fooling around." Professor McGonagall snapped.

"Well it seems to me we have 3 options. We can do what they want-" Kingsley began.

"That's not happening." Professor McGonagall interrupted.

"I'm just listing the options Minerva. Then either we can wait for them to come and fight back, or send the kids who aren't pure bloods somewhere safe." Kingsley suggested.

"I'd guess about half of the school, give or take, are not considered a pure blood. Surely you don't mean send away all of them." Humfrey raised an eyebrow.

"Then there's just one option. We fight." Kingsley said heavily.

"Well who defeated them last time? And how? If it's been done before it can surely be done again." Humfrey pointed out.

"The person that defeated them - or supposedly did - was Godric Gryffindor." Kingsley answered.

"Surely you don't mean the Godric Gryffindor. One of the founders of this school...one of the most, if not the most powerful and brave wizards to ever live and exist?" Humfrey asked incredulously.

"That's the one." Kingsley confirmed.

"So how are we supposed to defeat them?" Humfrey racked his brain trying to think of possible solutions.

"I don't know. But we only have less than two days to figure it out." Professor McGonagall said pointedly.

"I'm going to read through the books of the minister at that time and see what I can find. Also I'll be establishing more security here, as well as covering up secret passages and adding more enchantments." Kingsley nodded in farewell and disapparated back to the ministry.

"Do you think people will still have strength to fight back against a power even stronger than-Voldemort?" Professor McGonagall sighed.

"They're going to have to." Humfrey said.

"I'm going to go check on Hermione." Professor McGonagall got up out of her chair. That was the only person she could think about through all of this.

"You really care for her don't you." Humfrey smiled.

"I do." Professor McGonagall said after a slight hesitation. 

She had never felt this kind of bond with a student before. Sure she didn't want any of her students to die, but this was different. She made her way out of the office and to the Hermione's dorm and had full intentions of telling Hermione about the threat, and what they were going to do about it.

 "Overcome the odds." She spoke and the portrait opened.

"Who's there?" Hermione gripped her wand tightly and pointed it towards the door. Draco was upstairs showering, and she didn't know who else would have the password.

"It's just me Hermione." Professor McGonagall emerged and took a seat next to the girl.

"I can't do this. Please take me out my classes. And eating in the Great Hall." Hermione teared up and leaned against the Professor.

"What's the matter?" She awkwardly patted Hermione's back without the faintest clue of what else to do.

"It's too many people. I can't be around that many people. Too many guys - I just can't. I can't sit without flinching anytime a guy moves. Or my heart pounding if anyone comes within a distance that they can touch me. Even with Draco it's hard." Hermione shook as she spoke.

"It's okay. I shouldn't have pushed you to go back so soon I'm sorry." Professor McGonagall sighed.

"Anything you wanted to talk to me about?" Hermione sniffed. Her coming into the dorm was not normal.

"Oh. Yes I have something to talk to you about." Professor McGonagall sat up straighter and Hermione did the same. There was no way Hermione could take the news she intended on giving her, and opted with the other option. "I don't know if anyone told you this yet. I was thinking - well if you don't want - I mean it'd be okay - well you see -" She was for once at a loss for words.

"Yes?" Hermione asked curiously.

"I want to adopt you." Professor McGonagall peered over at the young witch, nervous as to what her reaction would be.

Hermione's confusion quickly turned into a broad smile. She hadn't been all this time. Someone truly did want her as a daughter. And it was somebody she was quite close to as well.

"Really?" 

For one of the first times since everything happened, she smiled. A truly genuine smile.

"If you don't want-"

"I'd be honored if you did." Hermione whispered.

"Well it's not settled yet. More papers have to be signed and some people are coming to see whether I'm fit to be a mother."

"I'm sure it'll all work out." Hermione felt excitement coursing through her for the first time in a long time. "So will I live with you now? I mean after the school year of course. What do I call you now? Do you live at the school all the time?" Hermione couldn't contain herself.

"Calm down. It's not even official yet." the Professor couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

"I know it's just-I'm really excited." 

"Professor McGonagall!" Humfrey's voice could be heard from outside the dorm. He apparently was not informed of the password.

"Give me one second." Professor McGonagall smiled at the girl before opening the door to go out.

"Listen you can't tell Hermione about this." Humfrey warned.

"I didn't yet. I mean I was planning to tell her about the coven soon but not yet."

"Nonono I'm not talking about that." Humfrey shook his head. But he lowered his voice and leaned forward to whisper.

"Theodore escaped."