Chapter fifty two

Christmas Day flew by in a whirlwind of preparation and excitement, and finally the time for the ball had arrived. Students were mingling inside the Great Hall, not knowing the identity of others and making new friends.

Many people knew who was going with who. A very popular pairing for the dance was Humfrey and Leah. She didn't exactly work there, but she had come back for a day to investigate some more and he had asked her.

"Hurry! Gather around. It's time to begin." Hermione urged.

Although there technically weren't any current champions, previous champions from the past two tournaments were invited to begin the Ball. The headmasters insisted that Draco and Hermione join them as well to represent Hogwarts from the most previous tournament.

"You look beautiful." Draco complimented.

Hermione had chosen

"Just like old times." Harry grinned.

"I wasn't your date last time." Ginny raised an eyebrow.

"I wasn't yours either." Harry said cheekily and avoided a flying hand at his head.

"Get in a line." Professor McGonagall clapped her hands together to gain their attention. She too had chosen a mask to wear but there was no denying her voice.

Hermione and Draco stood at the front with Harry and Ginny bringing up the end. The doors to the Great Hall opened, and the six pairs entered. Even Bill had come to join Fleur for the night.

Clapping erupted as they made their way to the center of the floor. Hermione couldn't tell who anybody was as they were all wearing masks. Most people had ones that didn't cover the whole face, but it was enough as to where they were unrecognizable. Others changed the color of their hair and styled it. It truly was a masquerade ball.

Professor Flitwick tapped his wand on a music stand to get the attention of the musicians. The six pairs assumed the traditional dancing position.

When the music began, the dancing started. Hermione was surprised at how smooth Draco's dancing was, and greatly enjoyed herself.

Before she knew it, the first dance was over and others had joined them on the dance floor. Hermione had approved all of the music selections, and it seemed as though everybody else liked it too. Draco went to meet others, and she did the same.

"Hermione!" someone tapped her shoulder.

"Viktor!" Hermione turned in surprise. There was no mistaking his voice. Now that she thought about it, masquerade balls were highly flawed in not knowing who one was dancing with. If they had known the person before they danced.

"Would you like to dance?" he offered his hand.

"Of course."

Viktor had stayed true to his old school's colors, and went with red dress robes and mask. He hadn't lost his touch in dancing, and it took Hermione back to her fourth year. So much had happened since then.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Oh..." Hermione drifted off. There was no way she could sum that up in a few words. "I've been alright."

"Are you feeling better? I haven't seen you since the Quidditch trials. Fleur and I were sent home before I could see you."

"Yes. I'm fine, it was nothing." Hermione lied.

Thankfully, Viktor didn't think much about it and continued by talking about himself. About how he had given up Quidditch to become an auror, and was just excited with the thought of playing once more. That was why he challenged Harry for his spot.

"I must return to my date. It was nice talking to you." Viktor kissed the top of her hand and walked away.

Quite frankly, Hermione was proud of herself for lasting a whole dance with him. It was hard for her to be in such close proximity to another male that wasn't Draco. After all, she couldn't always handle it even when it was Draco.

"Hey stranger." another man walked up to her.

"Hello Harry." Hermione smiled. There was no mistaking his emerald colored eyes and messy hair.

"Join me." Harry led her onto the floor, and they begun to dance to the music. "I've missed you."

"I'm sorry. I know I haven't really talked to you in a while." Hermione apologized.

"It's okay. I know you've been going through a lot. How are you doing?"

"Great. I've been doing fine." Hermione lied once more.

"You don't have to pretend. It's just me. Your best friend since we were eleven." Harry said gently.

"I-it's been hard." Hermione started carefully. "It feels like everybody else is moving forward with their lives, but I'm just stuck. Like I should have gotten over what happened to me by now, but I really haven't. It still haunts me."

"That's completely normal, and don't let anyone make you feel like it isn't. People deal with and process things differently."

"Anyways, how have you been? How are you and Ginny?" Hermione diverted the attention away from herself.

"It's been good. A few bumps here and there, but that's normal. Whenever I don't want to do my homework or study, I can hear your voice in the back of my head scolding me. And for a majority of the time, that works." Harry grinned.

"Well at least I taught you something good." Hermione laughed.

"It's not the same as you saying it in real life. I've missed you. You're always sitting alone with Draco, and leave before I can talk to you. You don't even visit Hagrid anymore. Or Grawp."

"I know. I'll do better."

"Stop that. I'm not trying to guilt trip you, but you should think about being a little more social. At least talk to me once a week. Or hang out with Ginny and Luna. It could be good for you. If you can, go find them tonight and talk to them. They've missed you."

"Thanks Harry." she smiled, and the song ended.

"I'll see you around then?"

"Definitely." Hermione agreed.

They parted ways, and she went to try and find Ginny and Luna. Harry was right, she had been neglecting her friendships, and they didn't deserve that. Luna had promised she would wear the lion hat she had worn to the quidditch matches when Ron was the keeper. It didn't take long before Hermione spotted them, and she began to walk over. However, her path was blocked off by another who stepped in front of her. He offered his hand, and she didn't see why not to enjoy another dance. She could talk to them after.

"Hello." Hermione said politely, and they begun to dance. After all, the point of the masquerade ball was to make new friends outside of their schoolmates.

"Hello." the man whispered into her ear.

Hermione's insides felt as though they had turned into ice, and her heart dropped. It was Theodore.

"Keep dancing." Theodore hissed.

Hermione felt the tip of his wand pressing into her back, and obediently kept going. The pit of dread and fear in her stomach had begun to grow.

"Now then. You're going to do exactly what I say."