Chapter twenty five*

In a dimly lit room, Leah sat a girl down in a chair. A few days had passed since Leah decided to question this girl since she had been very busy. She caught Kingsley up on the case, processed all the notes she had collected, had many different consultations, and made a few side interviews. None of which were helpful of course.

"Your name is Cho Chang?" Leah inquired.

"Yes." Cho nodded.

"Dated Ron Weasley over the summer?"

"Yes, for a little bit. He broke up with me the day our Hogwarts letters arrived. I think he dated Hermione Granger before that." 

"I see. Do you have a current boyfriend?"

"Yes, Theodore Nott. I know everyone thinks he's a bad person because of his past, but him crashing into Hermione was truly an accident."

"Okay. And when did your relationship with him begin?"

"Not that long after Ron broke up with me."

"Did Ron act weirdly while you guys were dating?"

"Now that I come to think of it, he seemed different from how he was during our Hogwarts years. He was really demanding in our-activities, and wasn't that gentle. I thought he would be more caring like how he was with Hermione during the battle of Hogwarts. But I didn't really mind and my current boyfriend is like that too. Maybe Cedric was one of a kind. He was my first boyfriend." Cho frowned.

"Cedric Diggory?"

"Yes. He passed away during the last triwizard tournament."

"I see. Did Ron seem the type to mistreat a girl?" 

"No that's not what I meant. He's really confident, that's all."

"Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about either of them?"

"No." Cho shook her head.

"Alright. That's it for now. Thank you for your cooperation." Leah shook Cho's hand, and walked out. 

The gears in her brain were whirling with possible explanations. She was almost completely sure someone impersonated Ron Weasley, but who could've it been? Leah made up her mind to question Ginny Weasley next. That was the last important person she didn't interview yet aside from Ron. She went back to Humfrey's office to get the class she was in, and was on her way to the potions room.

"Yes so if we take a rat's tail-how may I help you?" Professor Slughorn noticed Leah's arrival.

"I'm going to need to borrow Ginny Weasley."

"Yes, of course." Professor Slughorn nodded. All of the teachers were notified that Leah would be extracting students from classes as needed.

"Hello." Ginny greeted once they got out of the room.

"Let's go in here." Leah gestured to an empty room and they went in. She soundproofed it and closed the door. "I'm just going to be asking you a few questions."

"Will I get to find out what happened to Hermione? Everyone's been keeping me in the dark." Ginny scowled.

"We'll get there." Leah nodded. "I need to ask you some questions about your brother Ron."

"Okay." 

"Let's start with right after the war. Did your brother Ron act any differently?"

"I can't say that he did right after. But I did notice some abrupt changes a few days after it ended." Ginny said thoughtfully.

"What kind of changes?" Leah asked.

"It seemed like his whole personality changed. He became a lot more closed off from everyone, he suddenly became mean and hot tempered, and even lost his temper at my parents a few times. He was in a terrible mood for Harry's birthday, and preferred to spend all of his time in his room."

"Do you think it was related to the war at all?"

"Maybe you'll actually listen to me. I tried talking to my parents about it but they kept saying it was side effects from the war. It felt like he was an entirely new person. His relationship dynamics with Hermione definitely changed, but she refused to talk to me about it whenever I brought it up."

"So you feel like he wasn't your brother at all?"

"He may have looked and sounded like him, but it didn't feel like him." Ginny shook her head.

"Do you feel like he eventually went back to normal?"

"Yes. The day the Hogwarts letters came. We were going to have a celebratory meal for Hermione and Harry on their positions, and Ron came back from something. He kept claiming that the war was less than a week ago, and that he never broke up with Hermione. Everyone thought he got hit with a quaffle while playing quidditch outside and lost his memory. His personality went back to normal." Ginny remembered.

"What do you think happened?" Leah asked curiously.

"If I'm being honest, I don't think it was Ron over the summer at all. Maybe it was someone impersonating him or whatever but he didn't seem like himself. That would explain why he lost his memory, but I mean you never know. He might've actually lost his memory." Ginny shrugged. "Can I know what happened to Hermione now?

"I suppose that's all of my questions. I'm just letting you know, this will come out really abruptly. Hermione was sexually abused, by the looks of it multiple times, and has also come in contact with a helare. If you don't know what that is you can look it up in the library. I have other stuff to do. You can't speak a word of this to anybody, and if you want to visit Hermione just tell Madam Pomfrey that you know." Leah turned on her heel and left.

So it wasn't Ron over the summer; she had determined that much. But who impersonated him? That was the real culprit. Leah sat down on a bench in the all and flipped through all of her notes. There were a two dates that overlapped a lot between the different people she interviewed. A few days after the battle, and the day the Hogwarts letters arrived. Ron must've been taken at the first date, and returned on the second after being obliviated. Leah mulled over all of this information and became frustrated as she realized she barely knew anything more than when she first began the investigation. There had to be something obvious that she was missing.

And also on top of that, Chris was conveniently at Hogwarts for the triwizard tournament. He had always looked down on her for not being smart enough at school, and not aiming high enough for the job she wanted to get. He pressured her so much that finally when they became adults, she left her family to live on her own and make her own decisions. Leah never felt regret, but would be lying if she said she didn't miss her parents. However they always took Chris's side on every matter seeing as he was a perfect child in their eyes, and never went looking for her. Hopefully she'd be able to solve the case soon and get back to not seeing him but sometimes...life has a different plan in store for you.